Peeling paint/rust along roof drainage channel above windscreen

Griffywest

Hi, new to the forum and I was looking for some advice on a 2019 highline kombi. We’ve experienced a minor leak in the centre roof console and I think I have narrowed it down to the windscreen seal. On further investigation I noticed the paint in the channel along the top is peeling and what looks like rust in a small part of the channel, it looks like the original screen. I’m concerned the peeling and corrosion will spread. Does anyone have experience of this, presumably the fix is windscreen out and some repairs to the channel? Any guidance is appreciated! IMG_2100.jpeg

Hi, new to the forum and I was looking for some advice on a 2019 highline kombi. We’ve experienced a minor leak in the centre roof console and I think I have narrowed it down to the windscreen seal. On further investigation I noticed the paint in the channel along the top is peeling and what looks like rust in a small part of the channel, it looks like the original screen. I’m concerned the peeling and corrosion will spread. Does anyone have experience of this, presumably the fix is windscreen out and some repairs to the channel? Any guidance is appreciated! View attachment 245413

The only way you will know for sure is to get the screen out. You can put all sorts of rust cure type stuff down there but if it's gone under the paint then you need to strip it all down to bare metal, treat the rust then repaint.

The only way you will know for sure is to get the screen out. You can put all sorts of rust cure type stuff down there but if it's gone under the paint then you need to strip it all down to bare metal, treat the rust then repaint.
Cheers, gilesuk, I was a bit surprised to find it on a relatively young van but having dug about the forums a bit it seems it’s not uncommon esp along areas there there are seams/folds.

Cheers, gilesuk, I was a bit surprised to find it on a relatively young van but having dug about the forums a bit it seems it’s not uncommon esp along areas there there are seams/folds.

Some sort of flaw in the surface. Combined with water sitting on top of the window sealant? I've noticed that shutting my side and rear doors after rain results in a lot of water running down the doors.

Back