PF Jones Universal Towbar Wiring Kit - 1D7 Towbar Prep

witstu

Morning all.
After a chat with my local independent vw garage as to whether or not my van is towbar prepared. They checked my serial number codes and reckoned it is.
So, ordered a Tow Trust unit from PF Jones as Westfalia units out of stock since February with the towbar prep loom. This has an 8 way connector fitted.
Set about the frightening sequence of panel/lights/bumper removal for fitting of steelwork and electrical connection. Steelwork all fitted fine.
On to the electrical side of things now and exposed the wiring loom in the back near side of van for connections.
The diagram in the Jones manual shows finding 2 black connectors, 1 x 8 way and 1 x 12 way. I only have the 8 way.
Anybody else have experience of this wiring to let me know exactly what is correct?
Is there a definite way of telling if I do have factory prep ready?
I’ll try to load some piccies. Thanks for any help.

Have a look on your build sticker if you see 1D0 then you don’t have towbar prep or 1D7 then you do.

If you have prep then the connectors required are behind the near side quarter panel in the D pillar.

IMG_1674.jpeg

Wow.
That’s a quick helpful reply. Many thanks. Where do I find that schedule. It appears my 22 van doesn’t have a service booklet, will that be normal as everything is recorded online now?

Only got these with van.

image.jpg

The sticker is usually in the drivers side footwell

Little update. Went to local VW dealership at Middlesbrough today and they have verified 1D7 on original order specification, so van is Towbar prepared.
So, not sure why Jones instruction manual is showing an 8 and 12 pin connector?
Thanks to Deaky for highlighting the codings for me.

Little update. Went to local VW dealership at Middlesbrough today and they have verified 1D7 on original order specification, so van is Towbar prepared.
So, not sure why Jones instruction manual is showing an 8 and 12 pin connector?
Thanks to Deaky for highlighting the codings for me.
as Deaky says, stick your head right down in the drivers footwell, so that you're within licking distance of the brake pedal, turn your head and look up. There should be the build sticker showing all the build codes stuck to the plastic panel under the steering column.

If you look in the rear quarter it’s obvious where the plugs go, you’ll need a de pinning tool as you have to remove some wires from the PDC plug and click them into the towbar loom

Sorry to jump on this older thread. I sadly have a 1D0 T6.1 but I noticed when insulating my van that I have a wiring loom like the one in the image above behind the passenger side rear wheel arch. Do the 1D0 vans still come with the wiring but not the module?

No one knows?

Back