Pop top gel coat polish, courtesy of DOC

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
"I feel like I’ve stumbled across a winner here. Pop top started to lose its gloss with white oxidisation making it look horrible. Broke out the polishing machine and waxes which didn’t touch it. Found a tin of polytrol in the garage and it said it was for gel coat roofs so I thought what the hell. Super impressed! 30 mins and it’s brand new again. Apparently it’s also lasts. It’s also cheap!"
1000008440.png

Anyone tried it?

"I feel like I’ve stumbled across a winner here. Pop top started to lose its gloss with white oxidisation making it look horrible. Broke out the polishing machine and waxes which didn’t touch it. Found a tin of polytrol in the garage and it said it was for gel coat roofs so I thought what the hell. Super impressed! 30 mins and it’s brand new again. Apparently it’s also lasts. It’s also cheap!"
View attachment 243109

Anyone tried it?
Hi, this looked promising - however - just a word of warning for us Candy White gang members, this is on their website

"DO NOT use Polytrol on white surfaces, it will not work as Polytrol is designed to restore pigments".

I went down the polishing machine and Meguiars marine RV fibreglass restoration kit with 3 product stages last October. Took a fair while, difficult perched on top of step ladders etc but did a good job. But 6 months later - the roof is back to same old faded look.

So I’ve ordered some of this Polytrol and hoping it’ll work well. Applying simply and quickly with a paint brush has a lot of appeal!!

Also found this which gives me some hope.

Even if it’s every 6 months like Meguiars Kit this has got to be easier….??

This looks amazing! For those who have done it - what kind of finish does it leave? Does it cover like a paint or is it more like a polish? Would love to try this on my black gel coat on my HiLo as it’s massively faded!

See test patch in pic (at the bottom of solar panel) it looks better than it actually is. I thought i would try try this but will try to get the prop top wrapped in black.

IMG_5771.jpeg

Looks like Osmo oil but with a gloss finish.
I wonder if those aerosol cans of 2K clear coat after a flat with 600 wet and dry wouldn't give a more permanent finish, the normal single stage cellulose clear varnish wouldn't hack sunshine on a black roof any better than the original gel coat.

Back