Pop top leaks - how common are they?

icn05

T6 Pro
Hi all

Just trying to get some info on pop tops & how common leaks are. The one on my van leaks pretty much every time it rains for more than about 20 minutes - I’m talking fairly light & not torrential driving rain / winds

Waiting to return to the convertors but they’ve had one go & not resolved it so I’m not overly hopeful so just after a bit of background info.

No idea what make the pop top is but i’ll take a wild guess and say it’ll be something cheap.

Leaks are mostly through the bottom of the ‘windows’, and one in the corner where there isn’t a window.

The canvas also has what look like wet patches when its raining although it doesn’t actually feel wet inside if that makes sense.

Ps the conversion is just over 6 months old..

Thanks in advance..

IMG_4261.jpeg
IMG_4260.jpegIMG_4259.jpeg

Looks like there is an issue with the weather protection on the zips. Is there a cover over them on the outside.

Ours doesn’t leak at all even after nearly 5 years with 0 maintenance

What's the outside area like on those leaks?
Not sure these will be clear enough - the first pic is the window with the worst leak but it’s also leaked in the front bottom corner driver’s side and the other windows to a lesser extent.

I’ve no prior experience but going by the way it’s made I don’t see how it can’t leak - the mesh on the outside can let rain through onto the canvas & water can just run down & through the zips which are on the inside - or water can just gather on the outer stitching and come in through the zips ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IMG_4217.jpeg
IMG_4215.jpegIMG_4216.jpeg

At only six months old, I would suggest that it's well and truly down to the converters to sort it out. Our Westdubs poptop is 5 years old with no leaks whatsoever. That said, reproofing (purely as a preventative measure) is on my list of tasks when we get home from our next trip.

At only six months old, I would suggest that it's well and truly down to the converters to sort it out. Our Westdubs poptop is 5 years old with no leaks whatsoever. That said, reproofing (purely as a preventative measure) is on my list of tasks when we get home from our next trip.
Yeah, I’ve contacted them, they were supposed to be getting back to me but haven’t as yet (no surprises there). Giving them until Monday before I start losing my patience as it’s not the first problem I’ve had - plus they’ve already tried and failed to cure it by waterproofing it. Allegedly.

the mesh on the outside can let rain through onto the canvas & water can just run down & through the zips which are on the inside
Ours is like this - mesh outside, zipped panel inside, but it has never leaked.

Because of that I haven’t ever studied the construction close up, but it’s obviously possible to do it without having to suffer leakage.

Ours is like this - mesh outside, zipped panel inside, but it has never leaked.

Because of that I haven’t ever studied the construction close up, but it’s obviously possible to do it without having to suffer leakage.
The part that looks wrong to me is the stitching around the outside mesh not sure if it’s clear from the below but it seems water can just collect inside the material above where the stitching is. Is yours like that?

IMG_4264.jpeg

For reference, this was my defective Skyline canvas a few years ago. Note the double stitching at the edges. Is yours the same ?

Screenshot_20240815_194330_Chrome.jpg

No leaks after 7 yrs hard use on our Reimo. Including winter skiing trips. Zero maintenance.

For reference, this was my defective Skyline canvas a few years ago. Note the double stitching at the edges. Is yours the same ?

View attachment 255369
No, looking at the arrows on my above photo there is only single stitching and the 10mm or so of material above the stitches isn’t secured at all. It’s like that all the way round on all of the windows

I’ll raise the roof tomorrow & get a better photo showing what I mean

I think ours has plastic round the zips on the inside to stop any damp coming in

The part that looks wrong to me is the stitching around the outside mesh not sure if it’s clear from the below but it seems water can just collect inside the material above where the stitching is. Is yours like that?

View attachment 255364
Oh, I see the problem now. I don’t think mines likes that but I’ll take a look tomorrow and grab a picture.

Here’s some closer pics showing what I think the problem might be but as I said I’m not sure whether it’s normal or not…

IMG_4272.jpeg
The above shows where the stitching is & the loose canvas above the stitching where I think water can collect and seep through

IMG_4274.jpeg
Pulling the canvas back slightly shows the gap more clearly - I’d have expected double stitching as in @Sackmycook ‘s image above?

Both side and front windows are the same all round. Not sure just using fabsil etc would solve this problem?

Still waiting to hear back from the converters so just looking for some background info before I take the van back in

Thanks for the comments so far…

Sorry, that looks really poor construction. 1 stitched seam, water will pool under that loose bit and get through eventually.
I also don't think the angled mesh helps either. I would think it should all be straight on horizontal and vertical axis

Sorry, that looks really poor construction. 1 stitched seam, water will pool under that loose bit and get through eventually.
I also don't think the angled mesh helps either. I would think it should all be straight on horizontal and vertical axis
At least the converters are consistent!

+1 for this.
Gravity and physics will always win. Water will always find its way to the lowest possible point by the easiest route. Pooling and seeping through that joint.

@icn05 hope you get a satisfactory outcome

Back