Portable Compressor Fridge placement

Dubster5

HI,

I am looking to get a portable compressor frodge for our camper and have been considering the Outsunny 30ltr (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09VK593CS/ref=twister_B09W9DMG27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). My plan is to mount it in a compartment in the U shaped seating I am going to build, with a hinged top for access.

Does anyone know what I should be considering in terms of ventilation (above/below/in front?) and space around it? I was reading @Dellmassive's great post on different fridges and the use of a jacket.

Any info gratefully received!

Thanks, Steve

Fridges are basically heat pumps, you use electricity to move heat from the inside coils to the outside coils.

You need the area around the outside radiator to have good ventilation to get the heat away, likewise around the compressor so it doesn't run too hot. Otherwise it just goes back into the fridge (at best) or overheats (at worse)

For efficiency you it's ideal to insulate everywhere else as much as possible h the less heat that gets in the less you need to spend battery capacity on pumping back out.

A lot of the simpler compressor fridges there is no forced ventilation, it's just assumed that the warm air in that slotted area around the compressor will rise along the outside of the fridge and in freezer air cooler are will come in to replace it. So if you box it in you need to think about that as leaving a vent but having no space for the warm air to rise isn't going to work well.

You might want to consider making sure you can see where the radiator is and then making sure there is a vertical chimney vent from this area and a horizontal fresh air vent opposite it if you box it in. Or you might want to think about a computer type fan to force the air.

The jackets don't really have this issue as they still assume the fridge is in freezer air (for cold air to flow in) and don't really obstruct the warm air rising along the side of the fridge.

HI,

I am looking to get a portable compressor frodge for our camper and have been considering the Outsunny 30ltr (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09VK593CS/ref=twister_B09W9DMG27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). My plan is to mount it in a compartment in the U shaped seating I am going to build, with a hinged top for access.

Does anyone know what I should be considering in terms of ventilation (above/below/in front?) and space around it? I was reading @Dellmassive's great post on different fridges and the use of a jacket.

Any info gratefully received!

Thanks, Steve
Dunno what your layout/sleeping arrangements are, but you want the fridge as far away from your head as possible. Even “quiet” ones are noisy at 2am.

Back