Pulling my hair out!! T5.1 Rearfog light not working.

Richje100

2011 t5.1 problem !
Had towbar removed as it was in for accident repair. Handed me back the towbar and they've cut the wires from the socket.
Attached photo of the cable that they've taped up which has a 3wire plug connected ( I removed the tape to expose the wires)
Also removed the exhaust heat shield hoping to see in to the panel from underneath to see if there's a loom that I could unplug but no addition loom it seems. The cable runs through a grommet above the shied and the light cluster cable plugs in to it inside the panel.
Also checked the connectors under passenger seat, the blue block connector. The two wires on top side by side has no continuity when fog lig switched on but the other wires do with and without the fog switched on.
Amber light on dash when rear fog switched on so I know the switch is working.
Seems the light cluster plug wires aren't what you typically see as the colours don't match up.
Any help guys thanks

20240728_155006.jpg

20240728_155008.jpg

20240728_165213.jpg

20240728_170907.jpg

Welcome to the forum @Richje100. I've added "T5.1"to your thread title to try and attract a bit more attention from those with knowledge.

A traditional 7 pin towbar socket would normally have the feed to the rear fog lights looped through it, it would have switch that cut the vehicle lights off when the trailer was plugged in so you don't get glare from the front of the trailer.

Your best bet is to check the wire colours in the now cut off socket. I suspect you will find 8 wires in - 7 wires will go to the socket pins and the 8th will be the feed back to the van foglight. So if you identify all the wires going to the pins in this diagram then connecting the wire that goes to pin 2 (which will be live when you turn on foglights) and the 8th wire should restore your foglights.

7-pin-iso-1724-2924593502.png

Welcome to the forum @Richje100. I've added "T5.1"to your thread title to try and attract a bit more attention from those with knowledge.

A traditional 7 pin towbar socket would normally have the feed to the rear fog lights looped through it, it would have switch that cut the vehicle lights off when the trailer was plugged in so you don't get glare from the front of the trailer.

Your best bet is to check the wire colours in the now cut off socket. I suspect you will find 8 wires in - 7 wires will go to the socket pins and the 8th will be the feed back to the van foglight. So if you identify all the wires going to the pins in this diagram then connecting the wire that goes to pin 2 (which will be live when you turn on foglights) and the 8th wire should restore your foglights.

View attachment 252777

Thank you very much for the reply. I was going to attempt to wire back up the socket and solder each wire back.
These are the wires I got on the back of the socket and a pic of the wires that's been cut to insert the socket.
I don't know why the grey/red wires were heat shrunk together. There was two on each side shrinked but on the cable in the bumper there's grey/red wire that's in that plug you can see.

20240729_171843.jpg

20240729_171812.jpg

20240728_165213.jpg

Back