Rattling noise after Cam belt/ water pump

Andrew Walden

VIP Member
Hello All,

MY 16 plate T6 102 PS manual has just had its cam belt/ water pump done by the dealership. On collection there was a rattling noise after driving a couple of miles (engine speed linked) so I took it straight back to the dealership (Beadles VW Chelmsford van centre) The technician came out and told me it was the water pump and was normal for the first couple of hundred miles as the grease goes hard when the pump is in the delivery box. He insisted the noise would disappear.

The noise is still present but i've only covered 30 miles so far. Can anyone advise if this is in fact normal? It just doesn't seem right.

Thanks.

@Andrew Walden Our 2017 manual 102ps T6 had the cam belt, aux belt and water pump replaced when it was serviced at the end of March.
Done by a VAG trained independent garage using genuine VW kit.
Definitely no such noise - if anything I thought the engine sounded quieter and smoother!

Hello All,

MY 16 plate T6 102 PS manual has just had its cam belt/ water pump done by the dealership. On collection there was a rattling noise after driving a couple of miles (engine speed linked) so I took it straight back to the dealership (Beadles VW Chelmsford van centre) The technician came out and told me it was the water pump and was normal for the first couple of hundred miles as the grease goes hard when the pump is in the delivery box. He insisted the noise would disappear.

The noise is still present but i've only covered 30 miles so far. Can anyone advise if this is in fact normal? It just doesn't seem right.

Thanks.
Sound like total BS to me, if it were normal they would have advised you about the normal rattle before you left.
It could be the aux belt tensioner.

Sound like total BS to me, if it were normal they would have advised you about the normal rattle before you left.
It could be the aux belt tensioner.
I agree totally, thanks for your thoughts! To me it doesn't sound like a water pump but a faulty tensioner also.... :(

@Andrew Walden Our 2017 manual 102ps T6 had the cam belt, aux belt and water pump replaced when it was serviced at the end of March.
Done by a VAG trained independent garage using genuine VW kit.
Definitely no such noise - if anything I thought the engine sounded quieter and smoother!
I would expect the same, to have this noise is clearly a fault. I will be taking the van back for the issue fixing as soon as I can. I made the VW centre log the issue, its just ridiculous that they deemed this to be acceptable..

I would expect the same, to have this noise is clearly a fault. I will be taking the van back for the issue fixing as soon as I can. I made the VW centre log the issue, its just ridiculous that they deemed this to be acceptable..
Just be aware that if the aux belt fails it can take out the cambelt and cause major engine damage. I would not be driving it.

Hi, interesting thread. I have just bought a 2016 T 6 Caravelle from a main dealer, 36k on the clock. It has just had cam belt and service done. I noticed on cold start that it sounds noisy, and goes away after a while. Wondering what it is. It sounds just like the clip here
Thread 'Possible Cam Belt Tensioner?'
Possible Cam Belt Tensioner?

Hi, interesting thread. I have just bought a 2016 T 6 Caravelle from a main dealer, 36k on the clock. It has just had cam belt and service done. I noticed on cold start that it sounds noisy, and goes away after a while. Wondering what it is. It sounds just like the clip here
Thread 'Possible Cam Belt Tensioner?'
Possible Cam Belt Tensioner?
See thread below, it could be the auxiliary belt tensioner bouncing which maybe caused by a faulty alternator pulley clutch.
Have you checked that the alternator free wheels as in the inbuilt clutching when these seize can cause the tensioner to bounce and shred belts

Thanks, apologies for the delay, been away in Scotland. Got back ready to record the sound, and it sounds fine at the moment, not sure what has changed other than a 1000 miles of driving. I will monitor and book it in to be checked if it returns. I ordered some silicon spray to spray on the auxiliary belt, need to be try and find it now :)

Back