RCD330 reverse camera suddenly stopped working

edsr

Hi there,

I installed a Noname VW RCD 330 with reverse cam into my T5.1 and all has been well for a couple of years until I took photos to sell it and would you believe it’s decided to stop working. I get the error “the camera system is not available” or something very similar.

At first I thought it was a fuse but it actually came back on randomly and then stopped again. And I’ve checked all the fuses with a multimeter.

I’m trying to work out whether it’s an issue with the wiring (I ripped all the connectors off and soldered up a loom using a decent gauge power cable from the fuse box alongside the signal cable then wrapped the pair in grip tape so I doubt it’s a lose connection) or maybe a poor grounding issue, but again I was pretty particular about this too.

I was thinking of ordering a new delay box as that could be a culprit but from what I’ve heard it sounds like the camera would fire up Ok the first time even if the delay box was faulty, and only if I then took it out of reverse then put it back then it wouldn’t work? Whereas mine just won’t work full stop, from a cold start and straight into reverse.

If someone could explain how this delay box works it would be much appreciated so I can avoid chopping it out and re soldering it if it’s actually a faulty camera or dodgy grounding.

I was also wondering what would happen if I just left the camera on permanently and tried it - is that worth a go?

Do you mean delay or relay?

Temporarily permanently powering the camera to see if it functions properly sounds like a sensible diagnostic step.

If it lives outside eventually the weather tends to get in. Even apparently sealed modules tend to breathe in air as they get hot and cold and often the sealing means the moisture in the air can't then get back out.

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I’ve ordered a new delay box - I am hoping it’s that as it’s the cheapest and easiest bit to replace but if worst comes to worst I’ll swap the camera out. I pulled the dash apart just to check the connections in there and it’s all fine. I’ll post up any findings

Back