Rear latch keeps failing - options to change or rig a solution?

nosiesta

Hi there

I have a 67 plate T6. It's a LWB and has a false bulkhead at the back to separate out a storage area from the main conversion. The storage (i.e., the boot) is accessed via the tailgate. So to illustrate this, imagine a SWB conversion, with a LWB 'additional section' separated off by a bulkhead at the rear.

The tailgate latch/attenuator/mechanism, whatever, has failed on me 2 times and I've had various parts replaced. It has now failed again. Rather than go down the 'fix it' route again, with potentially the same problem happening, I am thinking of 2 approaches:

1: replace the mechanism with an old-school 'manual' handle and mechanism. Can this be done? Eg, will an old handle/mechanism from a T5 fit the T6?
2: rig some sort of internal manual release to enable me to open the tailgate from the inside. Not electronic. Note, I have a rear bulkhead so this would need some sort of cable? run from the rear latch to the main section of the van. Any advice or thoughts on how I could do this?

The issue I have is that when this breaks, I cannot get to the inside of the tailgate to release it manually as I have a rear bulkhead. I have cut and access hatch in the bulkhead to enable this, but if there is a load of kit in the 'boot' then you obviously can't reach through said hatch to the latch.

Warning: I am terrible at DIY!

Many thanks in advance for any tips!

I didn’t think the tailgate locks were particularly unreliable. The only problems I’ve heard of are around water getting in. Do you leave the tailgate up in the rain much?? Wait to hear what others have to say but I think I would try and find the root of the problem.

Water ingress at the third brake light or the handle itself are other culprits for a failing latch.. have you noticed anything like this?

Have you replaced them or the garage? Are either able to say what the cause seemed to be?

As @Alster said, whilst they do fail they’re not known for being a common problem.

Thanks both. Looking at the number of threads online about failures of some element or the other, I’d say it is pretty common!

Yes, I often have the tailgate open in wet weather. So could well be water ingress.

Garage fitted it both times and no mention was made of any sign of water.

Back