Rear wiper or no rear wiper on tail gate

Tmx1835

Currently looking for my first van.

Found one with tail gate but no window or wiper etc.

Do I really need one ?

I didn't have one on my first 911 and didn't miss it but not sure about a van .

Reading other threads I can see it's a bit of a pita to retro fit.

Views ?

Currently looking for my first van.

Found one with tail gate but no window or wiper etc.

Do I really need one ?

I didn't have one on my first 911 and didn't miss it but not sure about a van .

Reading other threads I can see it's a bit of a pita to retro fit.

Views ?
Why do you need a wiper if there is no window? ;)

Seriously, I have a wiper and never use it.

Back of my van is so piled up I can't see out of it anyway
Just learn to use your door mirrors

Mine was a panel van converted to include a tailgate rear window. It gets dirty but I've never found it so bad that I wished I had a wiper.

I've got a wiper on my rear tailgate, I use it all the time when it's raining. I've not had a car or van before that has a rear window that gets covered in water so quickly, must be the 'aerodynamics' - meant very loosly! - that sucks all the spray onto the back of the van when driving. If I don't use the wiper it takes about 30 seconds in rain before I can't see out the rear window.

I've got a wiper on my rear tailgate, I use it all the time when it's raining. I've not had a car or van before that has a rear window that gets covered in water so quickly, must be the 'aerodynamics' - meant very loosly! - that sucks all the spray onto the back of the van when driving. If I don't use the wiper it takes about 30 seconds in rain before I can't see out the rear window.
Get some Soft 99 Ultra Glaco on your rear window, will remove the need to use it.

I've just recently removed my wiper and fitted a kill all wipers blank. Admittedly I've not used the van in the rain since doing so, but in 2 years of owning my van, i've never used it before so reckon it wont be missed.

Last edited:
I never use the rear wiper on any vehicle, don't like the idea of scraping all that road grit across the glass.

I don’t miss the wiper at all. Can’t see much out of the back anyhow with the headrests on the RnR bed. If the bike rack is fitted the view is even more restricted!

I specced window and wash/wiper when ordering my van. I then immediately removed the wiper once I took delivery of the van! In 3.5 yrs I've never needed a rear wiper.

Get some Soft 99 Ultra Glaco on your rear window, will remove the need to use it.

I've just recently removed my wiper and fitted a kill all wipers blank. Admittedly I've not used the van in the rain since doing so, but in 2 years of owning my van, i've never used it before so reckon it wont be missed.
OMG, watched a comparison with that chirpy American guy who tests stuff pretty rigorously and got some rainX, still need to wipe the rear occasionally but i put it on all the windows and it’s great. Above ~55 mph i can turn the front wipers off and can still see as the water just streams up the window and it looks a bit like jumping to light speed in the millenium falcon
Cheers

Toby

Back