Reducing numbers belted seats in my campervan

Jim Rey

Retired Software Engineer
T6 Guru
I have permanently removed the M1 tested Rock and Roll bed in my campervan which was fitted with 2 seatbelts when I fitted the Rock and Roll bed.
In 2019 I asked DVLA to increase number of passenger seats from 3 to 5 and they updated the V5C document.

I am now well into the process reconfiguring my campervan and have fitted a side bench seat/slide out bed arrangement (no seat belts). No one will ever be sitting on the bench seat in the back whilst the vehicle is moving.
I am thinking that I need to ask DVLA to revert number of seats back to 3 and as my insurance is due in a few weeks, the insurance document will be updated likewise.

Anyone out there had a simialr scenario?
Advice please from anyone in the know.

Yes, you need to inform DVLA and obtain an updated V5C in exactly the same way as when you increased the number of seats.

As for your insurer, technically, you should tell them as soon as the change has been made rather than wait until renewal. This may incur an admin fee, so you may be inclined to wait until renewal, but you are running the risk of problems if you make a claim and the van doesn't match what the insurer has on record. To be honest, the probability of there being an issue is very small, but the impact could be significant (refusal to pay-out and, if your insurer is feeling particularly arsey, it could be treated as fraud/non-disclosure).

I will inform DVLA and insurance. I was never going to not tell them...that would be very silly. What I was hoping when tomorrow, I call the insurance company, is that they would give me a renewal quotation and update the policy doc to reflect changes. If an admin fee is payable, so be it.
Not actually driving the van right now as I still have a lot of work to do.
It's sitting parked on my driveway and will be for sometime yet.

Last edited:
V5C back from DVLA with 3 seats change done and insurance updated policy and didn't charge me. Adrian Flux have been my insurer since owing my T6

Back