Regrets, have you had a few....or is it too few to mention...

Jet

T6 Pro
My plans for a camper day van build in my, new to me T6.1, are gathering pace. but I'm wondering if the apparently common DPF regeneration and excess oil level issues might alter my view on the build?

Have people splurged loads of hard earned on a lovely fit out and then regretted using the T6 T6.1 as a base vehicle?

Or is this a case of the internet concentrating the faults to a level that does not really represent normal ownership experience?

A decent fit out is not cheap nowadays, so I just thought I'd ask!

Everything has faults, be it vans, cars, dishwashers, spouses etc. When you look on a forum that’s specific to a particular brand/model, there will be a disproportionate number of folk that have initially arrived at that forum because they had a problem. I.e. a problem occurs, they Google “problem with VW t6/ Siemens dishwasher/Spouse/Dyson Vacuum, and they get directed to a forum where lots of other people have also googled the same thing. Ergo many people on the forum are there because the product in question has failed in some way. Very few people will google “my van is wonderful & not giving me any problems at all, who do I tell?”
VW make millions of vehicles, I’d be astounded if they were all faultless.

I regret buying this pile of crap of a van

Its still at vw waiting for excessively overpriced ad blue parts to be fitted without any real idea whether it'll sort the problems

Kind of hoping the dealership burns down or it gets nicked while its there!

I regret buying this pile of crap of a van

Its still at vw waiting for excessively overpriced ad blue parts to be fitted without any real idea whether it'll sort the problems

Kind of hoping the dealership burns down or it gets nicked while its there!

What problems are you having

I have similar but still under the all-in warranty JUST!

also similar regrets

What problems are you having

I have similar but still under the all-in warranty JUST!

also similar regrets

it's a 204.. so it seems I'm slowly working my way through all the problems related to them..

So far it's had a new EGR, then a new set of turbos and now the dreaded adblue 650 countdown that doesn't want to reset and according to VW needs a new adblue injector, some bit of tube that's £450 and it's got the split EGR pipe on top of that.

Haven't seen the van since January and I've lost all faith in it ever really getting resolved without me spending thousands on it for then to wait for the next thing to go wrong.

My plans for a camper day van build in my, new to me T6.1, are gathering pace. but I'm wondering if the apparently common DPF regeneration and excess oil level issues might alter my view on the build?

Have people splurged loads of hard earned on a lovely fit out and then regretted using the T6 T6.1 as a base vehicle?

Or is this a case of the internet concentrating the faults to a level that does not really represent normal ownership experience?

A decent fit out is not cheap nowadays, so I just thought I'd ask!

I think your question is a good one, but it's worth framing it in the context of your specific van and your experience so far. In your first post you hinted that you've already had problems with your van with oil dilution and DPF regen issues.
I think you are wise to make sure you are confident (as much as you ever can be) in your base van before splurging thousands on the conversion.

I've had a split EGR pipe replaced with about 10 minutes of warranty remaining but looking at the bit of pipe I reckon it's something I could do at home.
The Adblu countdown of doom got us in Glasgow and luckily managed to get the camper in a local main stealers there and they told me there was nothing wrong with the system just the tank was empty, which was total bozwellox but they had it fixed for not much money so I sucked it up despite having had the van 4 years and 20,000 plus miles.
This is on a 102 hp manual, now I have a stop start error that Vindis here in Northampton would like to replace the cam belt and tensioner on so they can eliminate that from the possible causes despite my having had these done 8,000 miles earlier and them initially telling me they had clear the error by replacing a corroded wire at the alternator loom... it's probably a cooked wire by the charge cooler above the engine but we'll check the £650 option before the £40 Hall sensor on the cam.
It's a game and the modern way of grabbing what you can when you can, no different to the way pet owners are rinsed when their beloved pet is under the weather.

Reactions: Jet
I hope I’m not going to regret saying this but mine (150bhp manual) has been fine in the 2 years I’ve had it. It did have a squealing aux belt tensioner when I bought it but that’s an easy and cheap(ish) fix. I make sure I drive it weekly and don’t use it for short journeys. If at all possible I make sure any regen has finished before parking up even if that means going around the block to let it finish. Regular servicing at a trusted VAG indy and avoid the main dealer at all costs!

I feel for your uncertainty. Personally I’d make sure the issues are fixed and you are confident they are properly resolved before spending on the conversion. If not I’d be tempted to get rid and try again. Hope that’s not the case though.

I think your question is a good one, but it's worth framing it in the context of your specific van and your experience so far. In your first post you hinted that you've already had problems with your van with oil dilution and DPF regen issues.
I think you are wise to make sure you are confident (as much as you ever can be) in your base van before splurging thousands on the conversion.
Fair point, we've bought a 2023 T6.1 DSG 150, 2000 miles, bought it from Birmingham, and oil warning light came on on the way home, my better half picked the van up from the VW Van place in Brum and drove it home, the light came on at Portmadog, she checked the oil level and it was high, at the top bobble on the dipstick, it was late and she was 30 minutes from home, the light had gone off and didn't reappear until she set off for work a few days later, its a 300 mile commute and at some point the warning light reappeared, a visit to the dealer was arranged and the oil changed and now all is fine. Obviously I've been putting some time in to see how to manage or fix the problem, only then did I see the large amount of posts regarding DPF regeneration and high oil levels.
My thoughts are that the van was probably only used for short journeys around town, the dealer selling the van probably did a minimum of checks pre sale and the excess oil wasn't noticed, hopefully some extra care from us and longer journeys will prevent a repeat.

No regrets in 6 years of owning a T6. Well perhaps just one - that we are about to sell it.

Pete

We sold our T5, it was a culture shock not to have a 'do it all' wagon in the stable!!

Yes, the van has been brilliant for emptying my late Dad’s house. Fold the bed flat and it still takes huge amounts of stuff.

Pete

Back