Remaining gas.

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I guess most T6 owners with camper conversions have a problem with space. Although I’m generally wild camping on my own these days storage of a spare 907 gas cylinder is not possible. It’s a real pain laying down in the back to disconnect the regulator by spinning.the bottle in the confined space of the gas cabinet. Then to lift the thing out, just to shake it. The hot water trick is no help as, of course, the cylinder has to be out of the cupboard. So I ran out of gas a few times.
Then, the other day I had a little brainwave/storm. I bought one of these small postal scales….

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.54.55.png

After disconnecting and getting the cylinder out the scales fitted in nicely. It was struggle to manoeuver it back in and reconnect but it was possible. Once I have the tare and full bottle weight it’s easy to estimate how much is left in the working bottle and only carry the extra gas bottle when it’s nearly empty. Using conventional triple A batteries is not very practical as replacement of them is also a faff but by using the adapter to my inverter I can read the monitor only when I need to.

PHOTO-2024-06-19-22-40-23.jpg

PHOTO-2024-06-19-22-41-03.jpg

What's the voltage rating of the adapter?

It's probably quite low DC likely 5v or 12v which you could supply more efficiently direct from the leisure system if you wanted to.

What's the voltage rating of the adapter?

It's probably quite low DC likely 5v or 12v which you could supply more efficiently direct from the leisure system if you wanted to.
It's the lead supplied with the scales, 5v I think, so can either be plugged directly into the EHU if I'm on a site. Or I'll use my inverter when wild camping.

5v is USB voltage though and you can get USB to DC barrel connector leads if that's something of interest in the future.

I really like the way that fits in the locker though.

@Drive Wayne showed something similar.

Thanks Lee. Looks a complicated for an old walnut sized brain like mine. I'd be a bit nervous rigging the gas transfer up. The main drawback for me though is the trust that run our place wont even allow us domestic gas cookers. We're all electric. If they saw me playing around with a set up like that they'd probably go ape s**t.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Intrinsically safe electrics?
I believe so. I'll have no make and break inside the cabinet. The monitor will be permanently plugged in and kept in the cabinet. The 5v power plug will never need unplugging and the 13a on the other end will just be plugged in when needed.

£3.99 and no batteries needed.

£3.99 and no batteries needed.
I've never really had success with those, they're trying to measure temperature difference and are wildly effected by ambient temperature.

One was sort of accurate on the patio gas when it was actively in use so the liquid gas was chilled.

I believe so. I'll have no make and break inside the cabinet. The monitor will be permanently plugged in and kept in the cabinet. The 5v power plug will never need unplugging and the 13a on the other end will just be plugged in when needed.
Intrinsically safe is IP20.

Intrinsically safe is IP20.
I had to look that up mate. Unfortunately it's still foggy for me. Ingress protection I understand...I think. I guess the seals around the gas cabinet are to keep any gas from getting into the van. The numbers are not so clear though. Apparently 2 is for solid objects up to 12mm. The second part is against liquids and zero means no protection. I better rely on something from my era...crossing my fingers. ;)

I had to look that up mate. Unfortunately it's still foggy for me. Ingress protection I understand...I think. I guess the seals around the gas cabinet are to keep any gas from getting into the van. The numbers are not so clear though. Apparently 2 is for solid objects up to 12mm. The second part is against liquids and zero means no protection. I better rely on something from my era...crossing my fingers. ;)
Referring to the scales, monitor and power feed. Highly unlikely that it is intrinsically safe which means it could produce a spark.

I use 2 904s one connected and a full spare. Swap when it runs out and get a refill at the next opportunity.
Never run out of gas again!

Back