Retro-fit detachable Tow bar

Nick Harding

Hi

My new T6 Kombi has just arrived at the dealership without the Factory fitted tow bar I ordered.

The dealership are saying they can retro-fit this for me... When ordering the van, I had a conversation with them about how I should opt for factory fitted as it'll be compatible with the Media Nav and sync with the parking sensors etc. They made a point of putting me off the retro-fit option, but now they're saying its fine. As you can imagine, I don't really want to sign for the Van until I know that I'm getting what I've paid for...

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience on retro-fit detachable tow bars working with Media Nav and Park Sensors etc?

Any advice is much appreciated!

As long as they fit the correct kit with the vehicle specific wiring then its fine, if done properly it will behave exactly as if fitted at the factory.
I had an OE detachable westfalia unit fitted to my van and it integrates fully with the vehicle ie disables rear park sensors and rear foglight when it detects a trailer connected and shows the trailer symbol on the headunit etc etc and if the trailer is unplugged whilst the van is locked (alarmed) then the alarm goes off, this is exactly how it would perform factory fitted.
I suspect they just hyped it when ordering to get the extra on the order a few more quid in their pocket

Being a VW dealer they should use the right kit, cabling and code it correctly. There should be no issues, all will work as intended. We have a company that retrofit them all the time for us, and they work exactly the same, as the correct kit is used.

You will have no issues

@Nick Harding the dealer was doing you a favour and saving you money. Both the OEM bar and fitting kit are identical whether fitted at factory or retrofitted but the factory fit is cheaper. @Twoguns has been quoted a VW retrofit price of £1100!

Agreed the Westfalia wiring loom integrates with the vehicle the way the manufacturer intended, no cutting of wires or splicing of any nature as with bypass relays (cheap aftermarket solution), the Westfalia loom has all the correct pins/terminals on it to be installed into the fusebox and Body control module after coding will work as volkswagen intended . I have retrofitted a few in my time and this is as close as you can get to a factory install.

My towbar was retro fitted with the designated electrics and works fine with the parking aid and sensors30021b8.jpg

@T5.1 auto welcome to the Forum where you'll find lots of great people. I'm guessing from your reply that you are well versed with Transporters so all I'll add is we welcome your knowledge and please contribute your advice to the many newbies to the T world.

@Nick Harding I have just been quoted £714 by Indespension (proberbly have a branch near you) Westfalia detachable and VW OEM wiring.
@ehuplad the way I read it @Nick Harding paid for a factory fit that wasn't included so the dealer is now having to retrofit and Nick was concerned as to standards as the dealer dissuaded him from the retrofit when he was placing his order. Upshot is that he will not be paying retrofit price to the dealer.

@Nick Harding I have just been quoted £714 by Indespension (proberbly have a branch near you) Westfalia detachable and VW OEM wiring.
@ehup sorry I was not being critical of your first post at all because it is valuable information :thumbsup: for anyone contemplating a retrofit towbar as it shows that it will cost a lot more :( for the VW fitment than a Westfalia removable swan neck which is almost identical :whistle:. Truth be known Westfalia probably either has the VW contract for supply or else uses the same source :confused:

Hi all, thanks for all your comments.

The dealership seems to be particularly unhelpful when it comes to providing me with information on said tow bar saga.... I've managed to extract from them today that they want to fit a "Witter VW68Q" Having Googled this, the bar itself looks fine to me but some of you have mentioned the wiring loom. Should I be asking for more info on the wiring? - or am I worrying over nothing? I feel i may have confused myself with all the things I've seen and read online.

The dealership being so vague and evasive hasn't exactly filled me with confidence and I can't help but feel that they're trying to sort the issue in a way that suits them.

@Nick Harding you paid for a VW removable neck towbar so insist that that is what they fit. Any arguments then involve Trading Standards as the factory fit items are available to Dealers to retrofit. They will be claiming from the factory as it was their error. An alternative is to reject the vehicle if you haven't taken delivery as it is not as contracted.

Last edited:
Wiring is a bitch nowadays.. Due to integration with the vehicles canbus circuits.. The VW fit one adapts the emergency brake assist afaik, as well as the fogs and Rev sensors etc.. This is what I was told by my dealer Anyways..

You need to ask this question :-

Is the wiring loom & detachable towbar a genuine VW parts ordered from their parts department ? or.......

Is it being fitted by a third party towbar company which may be the case seeing that a Witter is being offered in this case, as all of the factory detachable I have seen are Westfalia bars I would also be concerned that they might fit a bypass relay as well for the vehicle electrics which is a cheaper aftermarket solution, you definitely want the genuine wiring loom installed and genuine towbar as this is the same as factory fit, as this is what you have paid for after all.

Yeah.. It also comes with a tow ball cap that slots nicely into the foam holder.. You also get a cap to plug the socket when the bar is detached.. You NEED this to stop it gumming up the works..

Back