Retro fit heated rear tailgate window.

FB1

Picking up a 2018 T6 with tailgate next week. Wanting to fit rear window and looking at fitting one with the heating elements. I'm presuming that there'll be no wires already running from the dash to tailgate?
And I can't find retrofit switches anywhere to replace the blank, only a complete heater control. So my question is can you fit just the switch and have an auto electrician run the wires? Or am I forced into buying a complete new heater control just to obtain the switch? Screenshot 2024-10-06 at 10.46.27.png

Hi matey. The control wiring is CAN and is already at the panel. The blank on your unit is removable, you only need to replace the switch blank for one with the heated screen icon. Yey! You may think, but you can't buy the switch on its own (Booooo!!).
That said it does mean you could try and find a damaged or faulty unit and just pop the switch out.
The same control panel comes in Caddy's and Passats, and some other vag group. I found any advertised for sale as being T6 had a considerable increase in asking price, so look for one from another model to save same money.

I found a caddy one on FB Marketplace for £10 and just took the switch out and replaced the blank on my standsrd unit.

Wiring, you will need to run a 2.5mm wire from the BCM to the tailgate for power and another 2.5mm wire from the ground point tucked in the rear left/nearside D pillar to the tailgate.

Once thats done you will need to alter the coding of the BCM to let it know it now has a heated rear screen. That will activate it and your done. :cool:

Back