Ride height and wheel/tyre replacement

ahobden

Hi all, I’m really after some help / advice here. I have a LWB T2.8 T6. I think it’s been lowered by previous owners and is sporting 235/50 R18 tyres rated 97W. The tyres are due for replacement before a French holiday in two weeks. From what I understand, these are likely car rather than van tyres and should be replaced with at least 99 rated tyres .

I’m also concerned about the wheels not being rated correctly, so assuming I replace wheels and tyres, how do I calculate what would fit without causing issues while the ride height remains the same.

Front and back the distance between wheel centre hub to bottom of arch is 395 mm

Apologies for the long winded post !!

IMG_2777.jpeg

Standard 18” tyre size is 255/45 R18 XL 103H. These will fit looking at your pics as my van is lower with this size. Some on here have gone for 235/50 to reduce width slightly.

Wheels need to be an absolute minimum of 800kg rated (that’s T28 front axle max of 1600kg divided by 2). That also means tyres need to be >800kg load rated which is 100.

There is a website called willtheyfit.com which will show you the difference between various sizes.

You definitely need to change the tyres as that could void your insurance. And double check the wheels as the same will be true if they are under-rated - rating is stamped on the reverse.

Both 235/50 and 255/45 will work fine for you…. I’m currently running 235/50R18 101Y XL Michelin Cross Climate’s but have previously run 255’s on a previous set of wheels. As @ginkster says above, double check your wheels are load rated, but also check the wheel width and choose your tyres accordingly using the following….

1722753717639.png

IMG_3448.jpegIMG_3449.jpegIMG_3450.jpegIMG_3451.jpegIMG_3452.jpegIMG_3453.jpegIMG_3454.jpeg

So in a continued bid to find the load rating of the wheels, I took one off this morning. I understand the first two images show an offset of 55mm and a wheel size of 8x18, J hook rims and 2 Hump design. However, I’m at a loss decoding the rest and uncovering the load rating for the wheels. Once again, can anyone assist please? Feel like I’m floundering a bit. Thanks in advance

No idea from those markings except possibly the B808 meaning 808kg?

Maybe look up what they are on the Autec website and see if you can find the specs.

Mine had much clearer markings:

IMG_6699.jpeg

Thanks for the steer @ginkster . While there was nothing on the Autech website directly, it turns out the B808 is the wheel model number. Using the associated KBA number from the website, I was able to track down the Tuv approval certificate which shows a wheel load of 900KG is approved.

Weight plate on the van shows 1550KG per axle. So I guess that the wheels are all good :)

Thank so much for your help @ginkster and @T6ARF . Really appreciatedScreenshot 2024-08-04 at 18.50.55.png

IMG_3455.jpeg

Thanks for the steer @ginkster . While there was nothing on the Autech website directly, it turns out the B808 is the wheel model number. Using the associated KBA number from the website, I was able to track down the Tuv approval certificate which shows a wheel load of 900KG is approved.

Weight plate on the van shows 1550KG per axle. So I guess that the wheels are all good :)

Thank so much for your help @ginkster and @T6ARF . Really appreciatedView attachment 253740

View attachment 253739
Awesome. Great find and good news the wheels are ok. Good luck with the new tyres and the trip away. :thumbsup:

Interesting your T28 is 1550 at the front as mine is 1600, must be something to do with model year or spec :rolleyes:

Back