S5 or S7 Tracker?

interbear

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Looking at a tracker to comply with insurance needs and it seems that both S5 or S7 Thatcham-certified trackers qualify.

The main difference I can see is that S5 includes driver recognition via a key fob or card that has to be carried separately to the van keys. This presumably allows the tracking company to immediately see if the van is moving without the driver present. Whereas S7 means that the owner ie me, has to notify the tracking company if the van is stolen. Have I got this correct?

I'm thinking that the combination of a decent alarm with a cheaper S7 tracker is probably sufficient in terms of security and qualifying for the same insurance discounts as a more expensive S5 tracker.

Any thoughts? Should I just find the extra cash for the S5?

Some S7 trackers need you to set a ‘do not notify’ status on the app if you want to drive it. For Scorpion Track (don’t know if it’s all) this is for a maximum of 7 days, so you have to reset it every week. Otherwise they ring you up to ask if you are stealing your own van which is just a bit annoying.

With the S5 presumably the token replaces this need. Obviously you have to make sure your token is secure, and not kept with your wallet or keys or in that top drawer in the kitchen.

It’s always a compromise between security and convenience.

Some S7 trackers need you to set a ‘do not notify’ status on the app if you want to drive it. For Scorpion Track (don’t know if it’s all) this is for a maximum of 7 days, so you have to reset it every week. Otherwise they ring you up to ask if you are stealing your own van which is just a bit annoying.

With the S5 presumably the token replaces this need. Obviously you have to make sure your token is secure, and not kept with your wallet or keys or in that top drawer in the kitchen.

It’s always a compromise between security and convenience.

The one I’m looking at is Moving Intelligence (formerly Phantom). Approx a £300 difference between the S7 and S5 options bundled with alarm (Sentinel).

Will check out the notification / reset thing. That could get annoying quickly but so is having to carry around extra key fobs.

Some S7 trackers need you to set a ‘do not notify’ status on the app if you want to drive it

No need for this on Moving Intelligence.

Their Sentinel S7 includes an alarm and a S7 tracker. If the alarm is triggered it initiates a response from the control centre. If the van moves normally they track it 24/7 and will only respond if the owner calls them to notify them of a theft. So no need to notify them in usual driving.

Their Sentinel S5 is as above but has a driver recognition fob. If the van moves and fob is not present, that triggers an automatic response from them. Presumably this is to protect against key theft. Have to carry a fob separately to keys of course which is a small inconvenience.

I’m still unsure whether to go for the S7 or pay the extra £300 for the S5 version.

Back