Should I buy this ex-RAC T6 for £12k?

I look forward to a review on this van once you've had time to get to know it better, I think you might have got very good value for money there.

I look forward to a review on this van once you've had time to get to know it better, I think you might have got very good value for money there.
Me too! I think someone underpriced!!!

You need a nice set of silver-grey 18" steels that are useable now and ready to be branded to your spec once you're done...
;)
Less than 500 miles on the tyres too...

PXL_20220130_142753820.jpg

Hi all,

Used to own a 2006 t5 and converted it myself. Sold it years ago for a modest profit due to a change in circumstances. Still have brilliant memories of it. So, was hankering after a t5.1. As you do, I've just been browsing various classifieds.
A 2016 66 reg ex Rac van with 200,000 miles(yes that's not a typo!) has come up locally. I've been to see it. It needs drop links, heatshield for exhaust, tailgate locks need repairing and only works from inside by pulling some string, and there's some scrapes here and there, plus some surface rust where the door slams are. Seats are immaculate as is the rest of the body work.
Looked under the filler caps and all looked good, except some white mayonaise around the oil filler cap inside. He said it was normal on these, i smelt bs, but then checked on here and saw that it was common on these engines. I had it started from cold, engine settled down within 5 seconds and no smoke or leaks.
It still has all the gubbins from RAC inside(racking and internal lights).
Here's my question, this is the cheapest t6 I have ever seen at £12k including vat, am I mad even considering to buy this? I would be selling my mint 55k mile honda civic estate to fund it!
Hi. I'm an rac patrol. The vans get serviced well but some vans that work London area's etc go back with 60 70k on the clock. They're well worth a look. 200k and you're gonna keep spending money to put thing right. Look up ex rac vans on eBay. There's a company that buys them and sports them up.

Hi. I'm an rac patrol. The vans get serviced well but some vans that work London area's etc go back with 60 70k on the clock. They're well worth a look. 200k and you're gonna keep spending money to put thing right. Look up ex rac vans on eBay. There's a company that buys them and sports them up.
Hope I got a good one then. It's tight as a drum from what I can see, getting it serviced Tuesday and some bits and pieces done on the bodywork in April. The bodywork guys said it was straight as a dye, never pranged.
Engine, gearbox and clutch are quiet as a church mouse.
Hope we got lucky. Checking the previous MOT's it's passed with no major quibbles...

Hope I got a good one then. It's tight as a drum from what I can see, getting it serviced Tuesday and some bits and pieces done on the bodywork in April. The bodywork guys said it was straight as a dye, never pranged.
Hope we got lucky. Checking the previous MOT's it's passed with no major quibbles...
I think you did “get lucky”! Well done

If its anything like mine then it gets everything done. Have fun

Sound deadening almost complete. Just the arches to do. Cleaned the floor with isopropanol. What do you guys think, should I sound deaden the floor as well? Noticed Combe valley campers do it, but the guy who's going to carpet it near us says he doesn't bother....

20220320_095818.jpg

20220320_202418.jpg

Sound deadening almost complete. Just the arches to do. Cleaned the floor with isopropanol. What do you guys think, should I sound deaden the floor as well? Noticed Combe valley campers do it, but the guy who's going to carpet it near us says he doesn't bother....

View attachment 150053

View attachment 150054
I’d sound deaden everything while you can…. I did with mine and it’s satisfying to know it’s all done. :thumbsup:

Yep, like @T6ARF says do the whole of the rear floor. I did mine, it makes a big difference to noise levels.
I then covered it in the 7mm dodo thermal stuff before putting the ply floor down.

Wheel arch sound insulation complete and floor covered in dodo duo. The van is now super quiet. It's also booked in for the 25th of April to have, diesel heater, 240v, 12v, carpet lined, side windows, tailgate window and altro flooring done.

20220402_154954.jpg

It's July now. Have you uploaded photos of current jobs?

View attachment 150053

View attachment 150054
One ex RAC just come up near me. 94k miles. A/C T6 150 £18,500
A few for sale. The higher the mileage the lower the price. I'm seriously thinking of buying it..

Back