Sliding Door Roller Guide Hinge

Graham B

Hello!

We have a 2017 T6 Transporter and the VW Extended Warranty. The Sliding Door Roller guide hinge (bottom) has failed - the little white plastic wheel has disintegrated, but apart from that there seems to be no other damage.

We called a couple of local VW dealers to check whether this was a warranty item.

The first said it would be classified as 'wear and tear'... which feels a bit rubbish on a van that is converted as a camper and therefore not used a huge amount over a year.

The second said it "may" be a warranty item but we'd need to commit to cover the cost of fixing it and then find out whether we'd get it covered later!

A replacement part on eBay seems to be less than £20.

What advice does anyone have - should we push for it to be covered by the warranty or is fitting a replacement something that could be done by me. (I am no engineer!)

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you

Graham

I think folks have found that the cheaper replacements tend to have bearings that fail much faster, fine if you're happy replacing them but if not maybe look at something not bargain basement.

It may not be physical wear directly, water is known to collect in the "pocket" that piece sits in when the door is closed and if that's caused the bearing to jam it may have caused the roller to fail from dragging.

I got one from eBay which was a Febi-Bilstein component for about £17. Looks identical to original and works perfectly well.
Very easy swap out.
This is the one I got, but that’s offside. Search on their eBay page for the near side and job’s a good’un

Easy to replace, just check which type you have as there is one one a lock and one without.

Back