Sliding Door rubbing on the Wheel Arch

Hi,the door card on my electric sliding door,is rubbing against the top of the wheel arch.But it's only in the middle of the card that's rubbing not the whole length of door.Can anyone help with what I need to adjust to sort it please.

I've just realised mine is doing this a little, as well.

In my case it is the door card that has been removed but not gone back on properly, it is sticking out a little bit and therefore catching on the exterior when the door is opened.

New clips are needed - and lesson learnt that you have to reset the clips before reusing in case it ever comes off again.

I did take the opportunity to insulate it though - silver (bubble) linings and all that...

I've just realised mine is doing this a little, as well.

In my case it is the door card that has been removed but not gone back on properly, it is sticking out a little bit and therefore catching on the exterior when the door is opened.

New clips are needed - and lesson learnt that you have to reset the clips before reusing in case it ever comes off again.

I did take the opportunity to insulate it though - silver (bubble) linings and all that...
I’ve added self adhesive HD Velcro strip to back up the clips.

My new clips have helped a bit, in that the door card is no longer rubbing.

But there's only a hair's width in it. I can still see a small gap between the door card and the door unlike the other slider where the card is more or less flush.

I made sure the clips were all set correctly and spent ages lining everything up before giving it a good old wallop.

Is there a technique, do I need to spend more time at the gym, are the clips no good, or ....?

As @Loz pointed out earlier the door can be adjusted.
If you have replaced the standard door card with ply it has to very thin, if it is carpeted the carpet overlap will add to the thickness and reduce clearance.

If you have replaced the standard door card with ply it has to very thin, if it is carpeted the carpet overlap will add to the thickness and reduce clearance.
Thanks, I'll have a look at this for a possible fix but the issue is clearly the door card is not flush as it should be. It is a standard Caravelle door card, no carpet etc.

No the card hasn't been changed it's the original

But there's only a hair's width in it. I can still see a small gap between the door card and the door unlike the other slider where the card is more or less flush.

I made sure the clips were all set correctly and spent ages lining everything up before giving it a good old wallop.

Is there a technique, do I need to spend more time at the gym, are the clips no good, or ....?
The door card is the original,and is only seems to be rubbing right in the middle as I can see on the card where it's touching.

Is it water damaged, buckled? The sliding windows leak and the water can soak the card.

Maybe the nylon rollers are worn / damaged.

Reactions: Loz

I have removed the sliding door card again. I removed all the clips again and made sure it fits flush without any clips at all - it does. So the door card is OK.

Then I put all new clips in and tried again, but there is still a visible gap all the way around the door card.

I want to make sure that I am using the clips correctly - I slide the base of the clip into the retainer of the card.

See photo below - I am sliding the clip into the door card where the red arrow is shown. Is this correct? (the white tip is the end which is going into the sliding door, obviously!)

IMG_1952.jpg

What do you think?

They are completely different clips to the ones I have on my ply sliding door card. They look like the clips for the front door cards.

They are completely different clips to the ones I have on my ply sliding door card. They look like the clips for the front door cards.
I have a Caravelle, assume they have different door cards (and clips).

I will order some OEM ones from a VW dealership and see if they are better.

I have this problem but in my case i believe it is the spring in the middle slider losing its strength and not holding the door at its maximum stand off from vehicle when open, does anyone know if the spring is available as a replacement so i don't have to pay the £150 for a complete middle roller assembly ? Or even upgrade it to a stronger spring ?

Last edited:
I have this problem but in my case i believe it is the spring in the middle slider losing its strength and not holding the door at its maximum stand off from vehicle when open, does anyone know if the spring is available as a replacement so i don't have to pay the £150 for a complete middle roller assembly ? Or even upgrade it to a stronger spring ?
Can anyone tell me how many clips I need to order before I remove the trim? Part numbers would be great. TIA

Can anyone tell me how many clips I need to order before I remove the trim? Part numbers would be great. TIA
My experience with this (clips on the slider interior panel) has not been good. There does not seem to be a part number on the clips themselves and I have not found any definitive source of the correct part numbers. My 2017 Caravelle has 12 clips, 9 of 1 size and 3 slightly shorter.
My panel is still not completely flush like it is on the other slider, in spite of trying various different clips and velcro pads etc but luckily it is just snug enough that the panel is no longer rubbing on the exterior.
I recommend checking carefully that the panel is not rubbing when the door opens/closes, because it only took a year of minimal use to result in visible marks in the paintwork.

My experience with this (clips on the slider interior panel) has not been good. There does not seem to be a part number on the clips themselves and I have not found any definitive source of the correct part numbers. My 2017 Caravelle has 12 clips, 9 of 1 size and 3 slightly shorter.
My panel is still not completely flush like it is on the other slider, in spite of trying various different clips and velcro pads etc but luckily it is just snug enough that the panel is no longer rubbing on the exterior.
I recommend checking carefully that the panel is not rubbing when the door opens/closes, because it only took a year of minimal use to result in visible marks in the paintwork.
Thanks coopso.
I have these part number so far: 9 of these: 7L6868243 ,and 3 of these: 7H0843213
Can anyone confirm these are correct?

Back