Some LED lamp queries;

Greybeard

Senior Citizen LWB DSG Kombi
VIP Member
T6 Guru
(For ‘current’ electrickery wizards!)

Why do aftermarket LED rear light units etc need resistors?

Apparently the resistors generate heat, presumably using enough current so the vehicle thinks filament lamps are fitted?

Are resistors supplied just to cancel out lamp fault warnings, or do they serve other purposes; voltage/current modulation etc?

Could the resistors be omitted and resulting lamp fault warnings coded out?

Would LED indicators, sweeping or not, be a special case? Thinking hyper-flash.

Do OEM VW LED light units need/have resistors etc?

Thanking all in anticipation.
Andy

I've not tried to programme anything out but run aftermarket led main beam, side repeaters and full rears .
The only thing i needed to add load resistors for is the side repeaters (cuz they hyper flash) .

Resistors generally serve two purposes.

They put a small additional load on the circuit to ensure the "circuit and lamp good" functions work.

But also LEDs are unlikely to be powered directly from the supplied voltage and will have some form of power supply, in some designs the small monitoring pulses can cause the power supply to charge enough to make the led briefly flash and flicker and the resistors can help with this. You can see this effect sometimes on a factory LED unit, several folks with a fully LED 6.1 report they can sometimes see a very dull glow from things like reverse lights until the van ECUs fully shut down.

Some designs need a balanced (identical) resistor on both left and right as they use the measured difference between two broadly identical circuits to tell if there is an issue, others monitor each circuit individually. I'm not sure what the T6/T6.1 does here. The balanced approach is the older design as it can be done quite simply with analogue electronics.

OEM units have the advantage they know precisely how the van ECUs will drive them so their power supply will be designed to work with that using whatever electronic design is best for the unit. For complex lights like the OEM headlights I believe all the control electronics are built into the unit so they are just supplied permanent 12v and communicate with the main ECU by canbus - so the van tells them which lights should be on and the unit can report any faults.

Indicators are a special case because of history. Original indicator flasher units used a bimetallic strip that heated up and cooled down and clicked on and off the circuit. A side effect of the design was if they didn't have enough load (both front and rear lamps) they clicked on and off too fast, but this turned out to be useful as it was an obvious way to alert the driver to a blown indicator lamp. So many modern electronics simulate this as many drivers are used to it. (They also simulate the flasher click as well as that's a useful reminder they are on - it's either done though the audio head unit or there is a "fake" actual relay on the dashboard electronics that click away - the clue is if you put the hazards on with ignition off there is no noise)

Personally I'd try and ensure the monitoring works rather than coding it out, it's not just checking the lamp it's checking the integrity of the whole circuit so will pick up wiring faults too.

Wow @roadtripper !
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of the above.
You’ve not only enlightened me and covered all my queries, but also in language that didn’t fry my old 16th Ed electrical brain.

I’ll fit my new Travelin-lite T6.1-style full LED rear lights exactly as supplied.
You’re a star, sir.
Andy

Back