Split Charge - Win A Bottle Of French Plonk!

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Me and a mate are heading off on Sunday to go skiing. I have just had a Victron 702 battery meter fitted and thought it would be fun to have a little competition regarding how much charge (if any) my CMC installed split charger actually feeds into my batteries.

My set up:

2016 T6 150hp Kombi converted by CMC
2 of 92A Banner AGM batteries
80 watt flexible solar panel with a solar charge controller but I don’t know make and model
A Smartcharge multistage battery charger connected to EHU
A Merlin power systems SmartBank Pro split charge unit which supposedly wirks with the T6

Batteries will be fully charged before I go and fridge will be precooled on EHU.

I have about 3.5 hours drive to Newhaven via my mates house, load up, supper his etc. Then a 5 hour crossing and a longish drive to Bourg St Maurice (9 hours depending on weather, lunch and wee stops). The van will be off EHU for about 27 hours with only the fridge running. However, I will post the reading on the meter at Dieppe before the long drive rather the starting point of 100% charged as I really only interested in the bit where the split charger is supposed to be doing it’s thing.

I propose taking a battery % and voltage reading at Dieppe and posting it in a new thread. People can then try guessing what the % and voltage will be when I read it again at Bourg. I will post a bottle of wine to the person who guesses nearest to the correct reading.

Having read the threads etc on split charging and only understanding 10% of it a number of things could happen:

a) the split charger works as per CMC say it does and it charges the batteries up so the % and voltage increases
b) it doesn’t work and the fridge takes out some of the charge from the batteries so the % and voltage reduces
c) the split charger works a bit plus the solar and holds the charge steady.

I have no idea which it will be but am very interested to find out. Couldn’t do this before because didn’t have a meter installed.

Fridge may get opened a few times in the journey eg lunchtime but that’s about it. Fridge is a Dometic Coolmatic CRP40 for the real techies who want to work out consumption rates.

In the event of more than one person posting the same winning number I will send the wine to whoever posted first.

Ideally don’t post on this thread but the one I’ll post on Monday morning with the starting numbers. I’ll leave it open till Thursday for people to post their guesses then I’ll announce the results. That will give me time to find out whether the winner want red or white wine.

Hope this is ok and doesn’t breach forum rules.

I guess some of you might want more info, feel free to ask but can’t promise I’ll know the answer. In case you’re interested we plan to ski La Plagne, Les Arcs, St Foy, La Rosiere/Thuile, Val d’Isere and Tignes. Staying at the caravaneige in La Plagne and campsites at La Rosiere and Bourg.

Assuming that Merlin thing acts more or less like a relay and doesn’t have a diode to prevent backflow from the leisure to the starter battery, my best initial guess is 80% charge. This is because the vehicle will try to keep the starter at 80% and so, given a long enough drive, the leisure and starter batteries should equalise.

I think the batteries will be starting much higher than 80% as they won’t have long come off the EHU. Not sure the drive will be long enough for the fridge to drain them down to 80% but as everything I know about van electrics could be written on the back of a postage stamp I could well be wrong.

They might well start at over 80% but, if there’s nothing to prevent back-current, some will flow out into the starter so 80% remains my best guess irrespective of where it starts out at. Or maybe that split charge gizmo is smarter than I’m assuming it is...

Don't like guessing - need outside temperature for the last hour before the destination ;).
Surely you need the van interior temp,,,, that’s what the fridge is fighting.

Reactions: mmi
Van internal temperature will either be the surface temperature of the sun or about 16 degrees C as I never seem to be able to adjust the heater in the front to a pleasantly stable 19 degrees

That’s three predictions so far
TOmbO - 80%
Ann3x - 83%
Alby42 - 42% (Douglas Adams fan by any chance?)

Don't like guessing - need outside temperature for the last hour before the destination ;).

Surely you need the van interior temp,,,, that’s what the fridge is fighting.
True. However in my thinking the fridge is not a significant load while on the move. The reason why I need outside temperature (the MFD readout) for my guestimate is that "the smart alternator" seems to change to more aggressive charging regime in cooler temperatures thus then actually topping up the battery to the max. Noticed that the purpose of the trip is skiing, so I'm assuming to be cool around there - hopefully well below +5C for the last stretch.

If outside temperature will be less than +5C for the last hour on arrival --> SOC = 100%. Voltage would be (after arrival load disconnected for 15 mins (or more) before measurement to get meaningful readings) 12,7V :thumbsup:

Above +5C --> SOC = 95%. Voltage would be (no load as above) 12,6V :sneaky:

Me and a mate are heading off on Sunday to go skiing. I have just had a Victron 702 battery meter fitted and thought it would be fun to have a little competition regarding how much charge (if any) my CMC installed split charger actually feeds into my batteries.

My set up:

2016 T6 150hp Kombi converted by CMC
2 of 92A Banner AGM batteries
80 watt flexible solar panel with a solar charge controller but I don’t know make and model
A Smartcharge multistage battery charger connected to EHU
A Merlin power systems SmartBank Pro split charge unit which supposedly wirks with the T6

Batteries will be fully charged before I go and fridge will be precooled on EHU.

I have about 3.5 hours drive to Newhaven via my mates house, load up, supper his etc. Then a 5 hour crossing and a longish drive to Bourg St Maurice (9 hours depending on weather, lunch and wee stops). The van will be off EHU for about 27 hours with only the fridge running. However, I will post the reading on the meter at Dieppe before the long drive rather the starting point of 100% charged as I really only interested in the bit where the split charger is supposed to be doing it’s thing.

I propose taking a battery % and voltage reading at Dieppe and posting it in a new thread. People can then try guessing what the % and voltage will be when I read it again at Bourg. I will post a bottle of wine to the person who guesses nearest to the correct reading.

Having read the threads etc on split charging and only understanding 10% of it a number of things could happen:

a) the split charger works as per CMC say it does and it charges the batteries up so the % and voltage increases
b) it doesn’t work and the fridge takes out some of the charge from the batteries so the % and voltage reduces
c) the split charger works a bit plus the solar and holds the charge steady.

I have no idea which it will be but am very interested to find out. Couldn’t do this before because didn’t have a meter installed.

Fridge may get opened a few times in the journey eg lunchtime but that’s about it. Fridge is a Dometic Coolmatic CRP40 for the real techies who want to work out consumption rates.

In the event of more than one person posting the same winning number I will send the wine to whoever posted first.

Ideally don’t post on this thread but the one I’ll post on Monday morning with the starting numbers. I’ll leave it open till Thursday for people to post their guesses then I’ll announce the results. That will give me time to find out whether the winner want red or white wine.

Hope this is ok and doesn’t breach forum rules.

I guess some of you might want more info, feel free to ask but can’t promise I’ll know the answer. In case you’re interested we plan to ski La Plagne, Les Arcs, St Foy, La Rosiere/Thuile, Val d’Isere and Tignes. Staying at the caravaneige in La Plagne and campsites at La Rosiere and Bourg.
I can recommend the Champ de Moulin campsite at Venosc if you fancy skiing Les Deux Alpes

mmi you’re getting for too technical for me but I’m more than happy to post the outside temp from Moutiers onwards based on the reading in the dashboard.

Reactions: mmi
Back