Starter Battery charging issue

Jim24

Hi there. I'm currently attempting to charge my starter battery on my relatively recently purchased 2017 T30. Seem to be having drainage issues due to a tracker and I assume the wolfbox g900 camera/dash cam (which has the park mode turned off). Starter battery drops down after a week of no driving, so have been taking it for a weekly drive, which is pretty inconvenient sometimes!

I have a Noco Genius 1 battery charger and maintainer which I previously used on my last car with no issue, so thought I'd give it a go on the van to save on some diesel.

When I connect it to the positive terminal and the negative to the chassis it's not recognising a battery is connected. The manual says this happens when the battery is flat, but it's currently at 11.7V.

The starter battery is a Bosch S4 E08, which I believe is a EFG type and the manual says this type of battery should be compatible.

Does anyone know why I'm having issues? Is the charger not compatible or am I missing something?

What voltage is the battery currently at ?

Without that info everything is a guess

fire the van up for a couple minutes to get the voltage up then try charging it and see if it kicks in
Just remember thats only a 1 amp charger so a flat battery will take a few days to charge, factor in if the van does have a drain you are fighting that also so dont be surprised if it stays charging into next week !

It's at 11.7 and will start. I'm just trying to stop the battery draining any further / look at future charing options.

A quick run of the engine should be sufficient to raise the voltage a bit and hope the charger sees it

The unit you have is pretty basic and designed as a standby/maintenance charger really, dont think its intended for this kind of application
Most decent chargers, apart from having a much higher rating, have an override function to force start low batteries, if this is an ongoing issue then you may want to consider a better charger ?

In case your not familiar with charge rates etc an average battery will be something around 85AH capacity so lets say it low and needs 60AH putting into it to be fully charged it will take

60 hours from a 1 amp charger
30 hours from a 2 amp charger
6 hours from a 10 amp charger
etc etc

I have a few vehicles between work and home and also use 12v batts in work so i have the exact same charger you have for standby stuff but i also have a decent 5 amp charger and cheapy amazon 20amp charger in case i need to bulk charge something in a few hours

Back