Strange Connections inside Glove Box

CamperCaz

Hello Friends, I have a T5 Leisuredrive (just recently got it) I know nothing ha!

Inside the glove box I see two leads with some sort of connections like a usb, see photo, what can they be?

IMG_9625.JPG

IMG_9626.jpg

Also, there is a small black box with a stick-on aerial on the inside front windscreen, which may or may not be related to the glove box things, see below photo

Does anyone know what these are........thanks

IMG_9623.jpg

looks like a DAB antenna and USB ports for a 3rd party Radio.

post a few pics of your vans radio?

Hello Dell

It's just the normal thing that came with the van

what is a DAB antenna and why would someone want one if radio already in van

1721673060880.jpeg

thats a non standard radio - not VW.

so those USBs and that antenna are for that,

you said it was a T5? - so may not have DAB ( Digital Radio ) antenna - or the wrong connector type.

either way . . .

all those bits are for your radio.

What's a head unit and where would I find it in the van

thats a non standard radio - not VW.

so those USBs and that antenna are for that,

you said it was a T5? - so may not have DAB ( Digital Radio ) antenna - or the wrong connector type.

either way . . .

all those bits are for your radio.
Oh Thank you Dell and Gee, I will see if I already have DAB on the T5 (I don't think so)

Someone before me must have done this and kept the radio :rolleyes::)

Would this be described as a head unit........it is also stuck onto the windscreen.........it says NextBase on it......dimensions 3 x 2 "

what does it do......I've not attached it yet (there is a lead) ......

IMG_9629.jpg

then I see another lead coming out from the side of the window, a flat lead.......here......

IMG_9630.jpg

Last edited:
The photo of your head unit (aka radio, stereo, sat nav) shows it has DAB facility… it’s written at the top right corner. It’s not an original VW unit and I don’t think T5s had DAB. My 2014 highline doesn’t anyway. I imagine the aerial in the T5, which is hidden in the wing mirror, is no good for the DAB reception your aftermarket head unit requires.

As others have said the USB sockets may well be for plugging mobile phones into via their normal lead you use to charge. This, if the case, would be to stream music to the head unit from the phone and maybe even to allow wired apple car play or android auto.

The other thing that says nextbase may be a dash cam… does it have a lens on the front? It won’t work because it’s not plugged in - we can see the reflection of the micro usb plug dangling nearby.

The stereo radio is already built in.....it's a kenwood......is this another one......
People replace them. They can be made to look built in. That one in your photo is not a VW original.

Lubrown thanks, yes it does have a lens, it's a dashcam, I will try it tomorrow I think it will work. May need an SD card.

It's very interesting what you said about the DAB facility I hadn't noticed, aerial in wing mirror, how James Bond, seems I have a lot to learn ha

Leads in the glove compartment for phones, I will try that too

I've really learned a lot tonight thanks so much, you're all so helpful, I'm still getting to know my van.....

.....still haven't found the fridge (only jokin')

:)

No problem. I had a load of queries too when I first got the van. The chap we bought it off did run through so much stuff but I was too excited to take all of it in.
Best thing is get out and enjoy it :waving:

Originally the two cables in the glovebox would have been for an iPod. I had a pioneer of similar age.

No problem. I had a load of queries too when I first got the van. The chap we bought it off did run through so much stuff but I was too excited to take all of it in.
Best thing is get out and enjoy it :waving:

Originally the two cables in the glovebox would have been for an iPod. I had a pioneer of similar age.
Oh that's interesting, then my iphone would connect to that too, will check it out .......thanks :)

Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget to join our Team and post some photos!

Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget to join our Team and post some photos!

Thank you I will :)

Well friends thank you I can confirm that iphone CarPlay works from the glove compartment (black lead) and ipod (grey lead). Sorted.

Yes the camera on the window is a dashcam it works ha

But I know you said the little black box with stick-on aerial is a DAB aerial (dab radio works, tick), but I still don't understand what this is supposed to plug into, it looks as if it comes from that aerial, and sticks out from the front windscreen, left side...........

1721741824003.png

Back