Swivel base and occupancy sensor confusion

Guy R

VIP Member
Hi,
I am in the process of converting my T6 .1 startline LWB transporter (2021) into a day van. While checking out conversion companies, I saw MSCraft's twin sliding base, which I like. I asked the guy who demonstrated the seat to us about the under-seat wiring and what, if any, coding complications this installation would create. That company do a lot of installations and use this base as their go-to bench swivel. He said all the cables, including the occupancy sensors, are repositioned under the carpet lining and that doing so does not throw up any coding errors (or potential MOT issues), it just means the red occupied lights don't come on when a passenger sits down.
So I contacted MSCrafts to purchase one, and they told me it does create a coding issue, including airbag warnings.
So now I'm confused. Who's right?
I'll be grateful for any advice, but please bear in mind I am a complete muppet when it comes to anything technical to do with wiring. From what I can see, four plugs, colour-coded green, red, white and black, will become redundant if I tuck them up the floor carpet.
1. Can anyone tell me what each of those plugs does (I looked in the wiring section in downloads, and I'm none the wiser - I told you I was a muppet).
2. Related to the above, what errors can I expect if those plugs remain unconnected? Would they result in an MOT issue?
3. Has anyone previously installed MSCraft's twin sliding base, and how did they resolve this wiring dilemma?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Guy

PXL_20240819_152123201.jpg

PXL_20240819_152127297.jpg

PXL_20240819_152145903.jpg

I can’t help on the plugs and find the whole thing as confusing as you do (I too had mixed messages from converters on the wiring for the occupancy sensors).

I would just point out the Vankraft option though, in case you haven’t seen it (Link). The wiring can all stay as is because only the top swivels.
If I were converting a van myself I’d seriously consider this along with their fold flat seat back hinge. Seems a much more sensible way of doing things.

Thanks for the reply. I did have a look at the Vancraft option, but aside from being three times more expensive, the feature I liked with the MScraft version was the ability to move the bench seat back into the 'cargo' area and then rotate it to look out of the doors (a kind of flexible settee) :)

Most of the wiring usually tucks into a dip in the floor of the cab to the right of the seat. The only functions you will lose are if a side activated airbag is fitted to the bench seat itself (this is usually overcome by connecting a resistor between the relevant terminals on the air bag connector). Seat occupancy detects whether you have a passenger and is nulled when the seatbelt is fitted in the receiver ( I think this only works on one of the seats of the bench though). If the pressure pad in the seat isn’t connected then there is no signal to hull with the seatbelt.

Back