T30 rated at T32

davidc

Hi all,

I bought a used T6, the log book states its a T30, with 9 seats.

But in reality, it only has 8 seats and with a gross weight of 3200 KG.

Should have get this changed to a T32 with 8 seats or not bother? I believe it is London Congestion charge exempt if it has 9 seats, is that correct?
IMG_20240711_122859.jpg
Thanks
David

Reactions: CAB
Hi all,

I bought a used T6, the log book states its a T30, with 9 seats.

But in reality, it only has 8 seats and with a gross weight of 3200 KG.

Should have get this changed to a T32 with 8 seats or not bother? I believe it is London Congestion charge exempt if it has 9 seats, is that correct?
View attachment 250259
Thanks
David
What model is it? The "SE" would imply that it's either a Caravelle or a Shuttle as think they're the only models to come in that trim level.

Its a Shuttle, thanks
LWB? 3x seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows, and I'm guessing 2 seats up front?

A previous owner may have swapped the bench passenger seat for a single chair.

Make sure that your insurance is correct as there was a previous thread with someone having a kombi which was wrongly classed as a minibus - some insurers won't cover minibuses with 9 seats.

As above, you should inform your insurer of the actual number of seats.

Re the GVW, what does your weight plate sticker show?

You could have a T30 that's been up-plated to 3200Kg (in which case your weight sticker should show the new GVW value) or your van could have been mis-registered by the supplying dealer (not as uncommon as you might expect/hope).

LWB? 3x seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows, and I'm guessing 2 seats up front?

A previous owner may have swapped the bench passenger seat for a single chair.

Make sure that your insurance is correct as there was a previous thread with someone having a kombi which was wrongly classed as a minibus - some insurers won't cover minibuses with 9 seats.
no, swb, yes, 2-3-3. insurance company was correctly informed, but its a 'diesel car/mpv' according to V5.

As above, you should inform your insurer of the actual number of seats.

Re the GVW, what does your weight plate sticker show?

You could have a T30 that's been up-plated to 3200Kg (in which case your weight sticker should show the new GVW value) or your van could have been mis-registered by the supplying dealer (not as uncommon as you might expect/hope).
Under the bonnet, I saw 3200kg, 5300kg, 1710kg and 1720kg under the vin number, so a T32? does that mean the supply dealer made a mistake when registering the car in the first place?

Reactions: CAB
Under the bonnet, I saw 3200kg, 5300kg, 1710kg and 1720kg under the vin number, so a T32? does that mean the supply dealer made a mistake when registering the car in the first place?
They may have or, like I said, it could have been subsequently up-plated - not sure which.

I'm sure someone on here will know how to distinguish between an up-plated T30 and a 'from factory' T32.

Assuming they are factory plates, rather than an aftermarket up-plating then yes, it sounds like it. The actual front suspension strut attachments are different on a T32, that's also a foolproof way of checking, but I'm afraid I don't know how to visually spot the difference on those.

Also, I think those axle ratings are T32 ones, so it's not just the GVW. These are rather more difficult to up-plate than the GVW so it increases the chances it's an actual T32.

Also, I think those axle ratings are T32 ones, so it's not just the GVW. These are rather more difficult to up-plate than the GVW so it increases the chances it's an actual T32.
Is it possible to increase the GVW without increasing axle ratings?

So this is common with VWs. They have so many models that the DVLA often register them incorrectly. You would have to go back to the original dealer who sold it for them to deal with the DVLA to have it changed.

I had a similar situation with a car and was able to resolve it without the input of the original dealer, though I did need to provide the DVLA with a letter from the manufacturer.

Personally I wouldn't care about either of the issues. Its not listed as a minibus but a Diesel car. It is a shuttle and it has T32 weight capacity. T30 is just a number so its the actual weight which it clearly states as 3200 and I assume that is what is under the bonnet on the sticker on the drivers sidE?. How many seats did you tell insurer? If you told them 8 and you have no intention to add a ninth I wouldn't bother telling them.

Is it possible to increase the GVW without increasing axle ratings?

Yep, you can, because the sum of the axle ratings is already greater than the GVW so it does give some additional capacity. It’s definitely more limiting than increasing the axle ratings too though.

Reactions: Bav
Yep, you can, because the sum of the axle ratings is already greater than the GVW so it does give some additional capacity. It’s definitely more limiting than increasing the axle ratings too though.
Every day's a school day. :thumbsup:

I was under the impression the Shuttle and Caravelle models were just over 3t, so were given the T30 denomination but had T32 suspension:

So I don’t think it’s been uprated after it left the factory.

As for the Congestion Charge, I’m told 9 seaters are exempt, but you’ll need a Category D1 licence I believe.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Back