T5 2009 VS T6

Crazymind

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I just moved from 2009 caravelle 2.5TDi manual to T6 150dsg generation six.
Love it to bits already but can’t stop to compare it to my old Velle.
Couple of thoughts here:
T6 looks better inside out but:
Front bumper clearance is a lot worse now and some kerbes I never touched before are now off limits.
Rattles: T5 build quality was superb. No rattles at all in the cabin, not even after potholes and road speed bumps. T6 it’s definitly not put together to the same level.
However captain seats are a lot more comfortable and the dsg makes the drive effortless. However the 5 pot pulls like a train and this 150hp mated to the dsg can’t win the match. All it does is it keeps changing gear if going uphill or asking to move forward fast. I could keep the box in 6th gear from 70 to 120 without ever downshifting to 5th regardless of Load. It felt strong and powerful. I miss that.
I will have to investigate Remap options both for engine and DSG.
Consumption wise the 2 liter is better of course and cleaner but 3mpg more doesn’t really change the fuel balance.
Leap in technology is worth the upgrade to T6. ACC for long distances makes the motorway experience effortless. Not sure yet about the chassis control. Dumping is very well mastered and is not bouncing at all however body control with my old Kony active dumpers was a lot better.
Better brakes on the T6, it feels more powerful when braking.
There was no infotainment in my old t5 and I had the HU upgraded to some cheap Chinese Erisin. Decent kit but never really liked it much. Much better the discover media HU now. Just need to understand how to upgrade software which is now at 0245 firmware and I read it is now been upgraded to 06XX.
So far happy with the T6, it would have been perfect it the engine…

A few more thoughts about T5 and T6.
Side door was quite heavy to shut and it required some strength to close it shut to the point my wife and other people couldn’t always close it. I wish I had electric doors… however I had tried the power latching on another T5 and I thought it was the ideal solution.
However the t6 slinging door mechanism has definitely been upgraded to a certain extent. Closing the door now requires half of the strength to the point the power latching is not necessary at all.

Back