T6.1 Black Box on battery?

Jet

VIP Member
T6 Pro
T6.1 On the battery positive cable there appears to be a black distribution box (or perhaps a fuse box), with two smaller cables already attached and two or three empty terminals marked 200 amp. I need to connect my Clayton via a 60 amp fuse and it would be neat and tidy if I could use one of these empty terminals, run a wire to a 60 amp fuse then onto the Clayton LPS. Just wondering if this is feasible or perhaps the Black DB is in fact a shunt or similar maybe to allow the ECU to monitor battery draw perhaps?

Yes you can do that.... But the spare van fuse is 200A.

So you need to down fuse the supply to 60A.

Just add in a 60A midi fuse off the 200A spare terminal.

Yes you can do that.... But the spare van fuse is 200A.

So you need to down fuse the supply to 60A.

Just add in a 60A midi fuse off the 200A spare terminal.
Excellent thanks! I have a 60 amp mega fuse in a holder, I'll use that. So is that a fuse box, shunt or just a DB?

its a fuse box . . .

they made it out of pressed metal to create strip link fuses..

the fuse link rating is stamped on the metal. (yellow)

400A
200A spare (green)
100A
100A
200A spare (green)
200A spare (green)

if you lift the middle black platic bit you will see the fuse links.

its connected direct to the starter battery, the power flows via the red arrow.

1726903050153.png

so you can use any of the spare ports to take a starter battery feed - all 200A.

and use the to feed a downrated MIDI fuse - say 60A

its a great feature of the T6.1, and saves numerous cables being connected to the battery terminal. . .

we was adding our own starter battery MIDI fuse bix before VW added the feature.

it makes for a much neater, simpler power install.

1726903649785.png1726903668263.png1726903676917.png

Well it is until you see the price of the customer replacement plate fuse...

Overall it's much easier to add to that fusebox than the one underneath the battery, but I think I'd treat it much more as a distribution point and fuse things as if they were not fused so just treating the plate fuse as a last ditch safety device.

Also remember to have enough slack and route cables so you can lift it back out of the way if you need to replace the battery.

^^^ that's pretty neat, I can see why VW stole the idea.
yes,

but i do like the VW offering.

id maybe like to get a T6.1 one and add it to the vans.

the only problem with the T61 OEM is no Chassis/ground. - though i supposed they don't need one.

but the headlight bracket is a good ground - with good metal-metal-bolt I've tested it with 1000w / 100A inverter load with no issues or heating up.

with mine i have the quick disconnects for the EHU external chargers,

the battery monitors,

50A SB50 Andersons power feeds.

plus the 80A DC-DC charger feed to the drivers seat base.

+++++

that one has been in the van since 2018 - i think its about time i redone it.

when i get the van back that is. . . .

the only problem with the T61 OEM is no Chassis/ground. - though i supposed they don't need one.

but the headlight bracket is a good ground - with good metal-metal-bolt I've tested it with 1000w / 100A inverter load with no issues or heating up.
Out of interest, does the T6 have an OEM chassis/ground that VW removed on the T6.1?

Out of interest, does the T6 have an OEM chassis/ground that VW removed on the T6.1?
AFAIK they pretty much have the same official grounding points in the chassis, @Dellmassive point is if you regard the 6.1 plate fuse as ideal for those adding aftermarket electrics it would have been even more ideal if it had a ground terminal as part of its design.

Back