T6.1 engine runs & van locks itself

antjam

Hi All, apologise if this has been asked already but after much searching I cant find an answer to my alarm/ignition question.

I have a T6.1 camper conversion, previous owner had needle sweeps & mirror rotate coded and Pandora alarm fitted (not sure if either relevant?). Anyway, when I run the van and remove the key the engine continues until I depress the foot brake, engine then stops and seconds later the van locks (while Im still putting on the steering lock!) - easy enough to use the fob to unlock as soon as the mirrors go up but would like to kill the engine when the key comes out and not set the alarm until I decide not the van!

Anyone got any ideas, whether this is normal, a coding issue or something I can change in vehicle settings?

thanks in advance

Hi All, apologise if this has been asked already but after much searching I cant find an answer to my alarm/ignition question.

I have a T6.1 camper conversion, previous owner had needle sweeps & mirror rotate coded and Pandora alarm fitted (not sure if either relevant?). Anyway, when I run the van and remove the key the engine continues until I depress the foot brake, engine then stops and seconds later the van locks (while Im still putting on the steering lock!) - easy enough to use the fob to unlock as soon as the mirrors go up but would like to kill the engine when the key comes out and not set the alarm until I decide not the van!

Anyone got any ideas, whether this is normal, a coding issue or something I can change in vehicle settings?

thanks in advance
Something’s not right there. Key off=engine off.

My first suspicion would be the immobiliser side of the alarm, if that's holding the ignition on then something is very wrong with the install.

Yeah strange, especially engine run on, it went to VW for a service in Dec and they suggested might be to do with the coding, and I've read about something call run lock (allowing engine to run with no key, I assume to keep the air con on when away from the vehicle?), but doesnt explain the alarm setting itself? In any case not something I want so wondering if anyone else has seen this, knows where to start so I can put back to standard

My first suspicion would be the immobiliser side of the alarm, if that's holding the ignition on then something is very wrong with the install.
thats interesting was going to get the Pandora removed anyway (previous owner lost card), but brake press to kill the engine.... very weird

I'd say something is very not right and it needs looking at. The only vehicles that tend to have engine run on systems are emergency vehicles as they need the engine to run to support the very large electrical loads. Those you can remove the key and any interaction with the vehicle controls would stop the engine. But there would be no rational reason to fit something like that to a camper van and it would not trigger a locking behaviour.

Anyway, when I run the van and remove the key the engine continues until I depress the foot brake

That sounds like you've got an engine running or key out system installed. Does the engine run if you fully remove the key and does it also stop the engine if you dip the cliutch without the key insterted?

no, just checked, clutch doesnt kill engine, also when engine is cold it stops when key comes out, only when its got a bit of warmth/up to temp does it run on, then stops as you touch the foot brake (with key removed)

It get's more bizarre. Even a key out system would work with a hot engine or cold and should stop the engine when clutch is depressed so I reckon you can rule that out.
An easy thing to try is a full reset. Undo and remove battery terminals, touch them together then reattach to battery after 30 minutes. If it works I'd be amazed but you never know.

Back