T6.1 footwell lights very dim

justinricky

VIP Member
As per the title our T6.1 standard LED footwell lights are very dim. Almost, there is no point them being there.

I thought it was maybe an issue with the van but we have another on fleet and it is exactly the same. Is there anyway of upping these either by wiring changes or coding? They can't be running at anywhere near full power.

Are they tied in to the instrument light dimmer?

Try the settings menu. My 6.1 Highline has instrument dimmer - I think it’s on the lights menu but not sure.

On our T6.1 Caravelle there are two level settings on the lights menu, instrument and footwell:

20230713_201138.JPG

I don't have that menu but it started out as a basic panel van so that maybe why. I wonder if that menu is something that I can code in with VCDS.

Might be on the simpler spec they just run off the same dimmer setting or maybe not at all.

As they are used as background lighting I don't recall them being overly bright - if I get a chance in a bit will go out to the van bang the dimmer right up and try and get you a picture to compare with.

Might be on the simpler spec they just run off the same dimmer setting or maybe not at all.

As they are used as background lighting I don't recall them being overly bright - if I get a chance in a bit will go out to the van bang the dimmer right up and try and get you a picture to compare with.
Thank you so much.

This is at 100% and most of that light is daylight. In person they look pretty much as your picture, I'd say they're about the same brightness as a number plate light not an interior light, if that makes sense?

20230714_110756.JPG

Absolutely, thank you for your help. It does seem weird, I will look into it further and see if I can brighten them up or if not, replace them.

So, i've pulled one out and gave it 13v on the bench with a car power supply and the light is quite dim so I imagine this is how it is intended so no coding etc will make it brighter. I suppose the next step is to find a brighter replacement unit.

Be wary of doing that, if the LED doesn't have the current control resistor built in or in the fitting normal car levels of current will kill them in the blink of an eye.

Just checked my 6.1 Highline and it only has instrument panel dimming and it doesn’t affect the footwell lights

Back