T6.1 front wing badges - adding colour

Graham Jones

Australian member
T6 Guru
Just wondering whether the "Transporter" letters on T6.1 wing badges could be highlighted in Candy white.
If so, who would be able to do that, do you think....maybe a sign writer? Cheers. Actually , these look better in this photo than in real life.20240628_154641.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
A while back I watched a YT vid on how to DIY this sort of stuff with rattle-cans. Can't remember all the details (and can't now find the vid), but the process went something like..
  • using fine grit paper, rub down all surfaces of the item
  • spray the lettering in the highlight colour, applying 2+ coats (obviously, this results in lots overspray in and around the lettering)
  • using fine grit paper, rub down all around the lettering and in-between the lettering as best you can - crucially, leave the top surface of the lettering un-keyed
  • spray the whole of the item in the background colour
  • using extra fine grit paper, gently abrade the background paint colour off the top surface of the lettering, thus revealing the highlight colour
I was pretty sceptical about how that would turn out, but the guy seemed to get a really good, convincing finish. The key (pun intended) was not providing a keyed surface for the background paint on the top surface of the lettering - this allowed it to be removed with gentle abrasion easily, thus revealing the highlight colour underneath.

A while back I watched a YT vid on how to DIY this sort of stuff with rattle-cans. Can't remember all the details (and can't now find the vid), but the process went something like..
  • using fine grit paper, rub down all surfaces of the item
  • spray the lettering in the highlight colour, applying 2+ coats (obviously, this results in lots overspray in and around the lettering)
  • using fine grit paper, rub down all around the lettering and in-between the lettering as best you can - crucially, leave the top surface of the lettering un-keyed
  • spray the whole of the item in the background colour
  • using extra fine grit paper, gently abrade the background paint colour off the top surface of the lettering, thus revealing the highlight colour
I was pretty sceptical about how that would turn out, but the guy seemed to get a really good, convincing finish. The key (pun intended) was not providing a keyed surface for the background paint on the top surface of the lettering - this allowed it to be removed with gentle abrasion easily, thus revealing the highlight colour underneath.
Thanks for that reply. Sounds as if a lot could go wrong with that method...too risky for my limited talent I'm afraid.

Reactions: Bav
Back