T6.1 Media USB issues

TAYLOR12

Hi everyone

My name is Dave, Just joined the forum so a bit fresh

I have had a T6.1 from new since April this year and have had issues with the media area.

Basically when I plug a USB-C in to connection it it has difficulty finding it. When it does find it the unit keeps switching over to my phone and playing music from there. When trying to reconnect to the USB through available mobile devices it does not pick the usb up. Then only way I can get back to the usb is to turn my phone off. and then it always goes back to the same song so I have to scroll through to get to where i was
Also the unit will not play all the music loaded onto the usb. I have tried a number of usb sticks and have formatted them in every available options but still no joy.
I got VW to test the usb sticks in one of there vehicles and the same thing happens.

Strangely enough, the usb sticks work perfectly in numerous computers and in my 65 plate Seat leon

Vw are stumped and suggest it is the way the music has down loaded

Any thoughts

Welcome to the forums.

What make USB(s) and where did you get it/them?
I know it works in other systems, but best get the basics out the way first.
Also, what format is the music (and where did it come from - as in was it ripped from CD, what application was used)?
Have you done a file system check on the drive - and also, just to check - it is formatted in FAT/FAT32?
How many partitions on the drive? How was it formatted - as in what application did you use?
What file naming have you got there... for instance are there brackets/dashes/other non alpha numeric symbols in the file name?
More info you can give, the more chance there is someone can help you with the problem.

Last edited:
Regarding the head unit not playing all the files. You may find that some of them are protected. Assuming you are on Windows, right click on an unplayable file and see if it says Yes for protection in the Details tab of the Properties. Some of mine are like that and will play on all my computers but not in the car/van

If it's any help the USB stick I use in my 6.1 I linked to in this post:

It's a handy USB-C and USB-A and isn't that bulky to get in the way. All my files are 192-320kbps MP3 via LAME encoder.

As well as the other advice consider if the stick you are using is bulky enough to wobble or get knocked by the cable to the phone - I've had trouble with that in the past hence finding a short-ish one.

Welcome to the forums.

What make USB(s) and where did you get it/them?
I know it works in other systems, but best get the basics out the way first.
Also, what format is the music (and where did it come from - as in was it ripped from CD, what application was used)?
Have you done a file system check on the drive - and also, just to check - it is formatted in FAT/FAT32?
How many partitions on the drive? How was it formatted - as in what application did you use?
What file naming have you got there... for instance are there brackets/dashes/other non alpha numeric symbols in the file name?
More info you can give, the more chance there is someone can help you with the problem.
Hi

The USB is a SanDisk
I purchased some cd's and downloaded them onto my I Tunes then made a playlist and down loaded that onto the USB
I have not done a file check
I have formatted three USB sticks in the three available Fat Fat32 and HTNI
Dont know what you mean by partitions
I have not named my file

I don't know and never heard of HTNI and it doesn't come up in the first couple of pages of a search, so assuming that is a (deliberate) spelling mistake.
What size are the USBs?
Where did you get them?
Have you tested them with USB Testing software such as H2testw (if you use Windows) ?
I've never downloaded or used iTunes, so what format does the file get downloaded as (.mp3, .wav, .flac etc)?
Can you give an example of a file name - do they have punctuation in the filenames apart from the . ?
Have you tried with just a couple of tracks on the USB as a troubleshooting measure?
Do other types of USB media ever have any problem in your unit?

Don't mean to sound like the Inquisition, but this is the only way to have a chance to get to the bottom of this without looking over your shoulder.

Back