T6.1 vs T6 Shuttle buying advice

I'm wanting to buy a Shuttle very imminently.

I was wondering if I could dive into the hive mind for your insight. My desired unicorn spec is a post-'68 SE 150 manual with rear AC and captain seats as must-haves. LWB and cruise are desirable.

However, nothing has cropped up in my search so I'm having to make a compromise. My short-list currently has two options: a T6.1 SWB 150 DSG with high'ish miles (70,000 on a 20 plate) or a T6 LWB 150 DSG with low miles (48,000 on a 19 plate).

Which do you think constitutes the better buy? Which will depreciate the least? (I'll be doing at least 15,000 a year). The T6.1 is filled with newer tech including adaptive cruise but the T6 has lower miles and is LWB which will be (only occasionally) more useful. Neither have rear-AC annoyingly.

What insights can you share with someone who knows little about these vans!

I'd buy the 6.1 however I am biased having done so to replace my stolen 5.1. Better looking front end, ACC and the miles wont be a major issue. Both need DSG service at 40k so both should have been done. Having said that I would prefer a LWB to the SWB. Hang around one will come up.

Are you sure it doesnt have rear AC? Has it got four pipes in the engine bay or just the two?

Yeah the HVAC control panel, I'm pretty sure, is the standard 'front-only' controls. I've read on this forum that it's caught many people out, seemingly unaware that it was an optimal extra.

T6 has better cupholder option and the comfort dash option is nice and whilst hte 6.1 dash is more modern it is also awful plasticky even on the Caravelle

Would this be enough to sway your choice one way or the other? I've not had a Transporter before so not really much to compare it to.

It's sod's law as a few months ago, when I started looking, I saw at least two fab examples of what I was looking for but they were soon sold

I would always try to buy the most recent looking model I could afford unless it was generally known to be a dog as it future proofs it for a while longer. the 6.1 is the last true transporter they will make however I suspect some build quality is better on the 6. Do you know the history of either vehicle as a 70 plate with 70k suggests maybe more than a family car?

LWB, DSG T6 for the left foot rest. Twin captains in LWB is a rare combo. If i were putting lots of miles on id be looking to start as low as possible
Just my 2p.

I have a LWB DSG 2.00 Bi turbo, ex 9 seater, electric sliding doors would never consider a SWB having compared notes with many SWB owners who have sat in mine. Regarding miles, long term, you will be changing wheel size - tyres- A/C option- suspension. If the service is record is spot on, 50K or a 100K the price on the forecourt is huge and must be considered. The disabled motor sound like well worth a look at if the price and servicing is good. Don't worry about the plastics, the dash, the this and that. Drive it if it all feels good, no problemo. Colour well that is a whole new ball game.

Back