T6 Mileage - what are they capable of?

Damobristol

Vanless currently
VIP Member
Hi all,

I've been looking for a day van for a while. I've been looking for something under 50k along with a bunch of other requirements. I'm looking for a 204/150.

However, I am now wondering whether or not I could go higher on the mileage. I'm happy enough to fork out a decent amount as I plan to keep the van about 10 years, and maybe get more of a motorhome for my dotage.

My question is, what kind of mileage would a regularly serviced T6/T6.1 be able to do?

(My sister just got rid of a Skoda diesel which she had from new and clocked almost 400k motorway miles before she decided to replace it).

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

It’s a complex vehicle. Lots of things will go wrong.
It will Be expensive to maintain over time and mileage. 1000 per year in maintenance up to 75k miles. 1500 a year up to 150k. All good if any main component doesn’t fail before: turbo or twin turbo, DSG, EGR, Driveshaft.

Have seen a T6 on 350k.. airport taxi. Frequently used, regular servicing, good fuel, not parked up for long periods. No reason to be unreliable.

More than one Forum member has done more than 300,000 miles in their T6.
Regular servicing is key. I change my oil and filter every 8 to 9 thousand miles. Cost is small compared to buying a new van.

Age is a bigger killer of modern vehicles rather than mileage IMO. I’d by the newest van I could even if it had more miles than an older one. And spec, that’s import as they’re generally lower than cars. Try to find a highline if you can.

How many miles per year do you plan to do?

Last edited:

More than one Forum member has done more than 300,000 miles in their T6.
Regular servicing is key. I change my oil and filter every 8 to 9 thousand miles. Cost is small compared to buying a new van.

Interesting.

Age is a bigger killer of modern vehicles rather than mileage IMO. I’d by the newest van I could even if it had more miles than an older one. And spec, that’s import as they’re generally lower than cars. Try to find a highline if you can.

I probably do about 12k currently but it'd be more like 15k+ once I get the van as I'd be away lots more weekends.

As @DaveD says oil condition is key. I’d run a mile from anything that’s been on the Extended Oil Service schedule.
If you are maintaining the van yourself it’s pretty cheap, I spend hundreds / year not thousands. 2016 van at nearly 70K miles, still on original brakes, just changed some tyres for the first time. Basic engine maintenance, bigger oil capacity than most cars otherwise no more expensive for consumables.
The biggest running cost is fuel, mainly governed by your right foot.

My thought process too. I bought a 3yr old 204 with 95k on with good history. 4 years later and it’s on 132k and currently touring Portugal.
Only thing with the higher mileage is that the modern bits with a finite lifespan linked to mileage will be closer to needing replacement, eg dpf, inlet manifold, turbo etc.

I am on my 3rd Transporter and they are garbage . Oil change every 6k miles. This is the starting point. All the rest will fail (soon) and consumable are more consumable than a normal car. Cost wise is like to maintain a Bmw 7 Series or a Merc S class (in my experience). Including insurance. Vw Main dealer charging 130 pounds an hour. Rear Coils last 30/40k miles ( T5 and T6 both had them replaced). T6.1 not yet at 40k miles, waiting for it. Driveshaft knackered both T5 and T6.
Suspension need overhaul around 100k unless you like wobbly and unrefined drive. Egr, Turbo, twin turbo… plenty of material to be scared off… add the electronic complication of the T6.1 (mine was in 17 times for electronic related issues).
It’s a business tool to me 50% of the time and I suck up the cost of maintenance. The Van makes men money so is worth spending money on it. If you look around, there is nothing better, more practical and engineered around users than the T5/6 platform. Despite being 20 Years old.

In think it depends on a few factors. How its been driven (someone who is calm and mechanically forgiving) and where (motorway's mostly/school runs its entire life), who has serviced it and worked on it and why, was it a Friday afternoon/Monday morning van (I mean the vehicles that just seem unlucky, ie everything seems to go wrong)...

My Caravelle has 140k miles on it and I cannot tell the difference in ride to my mates 30k miles, nor can he. I should try a 72 plate one and see how that feels. My son commented a while back it was quieter than our new EV Merc on the motorway. Its been a revelation when doing big motorway trips in France for example. Mechanics who get a look underneath always comment how good it is. Even the miserable MOT man who said he hated jacked up/pimped vans said after bringing it back 'that is a nice van!'

If you go for a higher milage one have a good look underneath/get a good garage to take a look for you and give you a list of mechanical things to do. I never scrimp on things like batteries and shocks for examply. Find good garages and services, treat them well and be willing to drive to the good people. Comment on oil changes above, I think all diesels should have 5~10k miles oil changes personally. I have always done it. Will i see my money back to all the effort I put in my vehicles, sometimes have - the last two Mits L200's I got very good money for them and people came a long distance for my trucks,not so sure about this one but tbf its about how it is for me and my family not what its resale is one day...

Back