Tailgate alignment adjustment

Andrew B69

I have a 2018 Caravelle and have an issue with the closing of the tailgate.

It is power closing with soft latch. When i bought it the soft latch wasn’t working so it closed but ratted. Have had this repaired but it doesn’t line up properly with the rest of the bodywork, like the whole tailgate is too high. When open it it opens quite sharply like it is being forced to latch.

Does anyone know if this can be adjusted and how?

Both side are out, drivers side worse.

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0397.jpeg

Managed to sort it this afternoon…VW were useless, changed the latch but made no difference.

Had to drop the headlining which allowed access to 2 bolt each side. Put some timbers to support the tailgate and disconnected the struts at the top only.

Loosened the nuts each side allowed the hinge to drop…spot on now.

13mm nut, I used a tap box spanner

IMG_0863.jpeg

Managed to sort it this afternoon…VW were useless, changed the latch but made no difference.

Had to drop the headlining which allowed access to 2 bolt each side. Put some timbers to support the tailgate and disconnected the struts at the top only.

Loosened the nuts each side allowed the hinge to drop…spot on now.

13mm nut, I used a tap box spanner

View attachment 203490
Thanks. I did briefly have a look and thought I would need to access these but see. I needed to drop headliner to access I left it for now. Thanks again

Hi there,

this is me first post, happy to be here.

We imported our T6 Multivan from Germany when we moved to the UK.

I currently face the same problem, but mine seems worse because the tailgate is not closing properly anymore. You can see that the whole tailgate is misaligned and doesn't fit in the guide pins completely anymore. See attached pictures. It needs to come down and move to the left a little.

I've found this instructions online: http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T5_pdfs/T5_rear_doors_adjust.pdf

Thanks to @Andrew-B69 from above I got a rough plan on how to approach. But do have questions:

- How to open the rear roof trim (headlining) without damage?
- In what position should the gas struts be removed in, tailgate completely open?
- When removing the safety mechanism from the top part of the gas struts, do they suddenly move (pop open)?
- The bolts in the roof bring the tailgate down, or moving it up I suppose? How can I move it to the left?

Thank you very much for your support on that!

A little history: back in Germany somebody bumped into the rear of the van whilst parking and drove away afterwards. The official dealership at that time was replacing the whole tailgate, now, maybe 6/7 seven years later you can see the quality of work they've done. They don't built cars to last anymore.

Have a lovely evening all.

Pat

bottom-left.jpeg

bottom-right.jpeg

guide-left.jpeg

guide-right.jpeg

rear-roof-trim.jpeg

roof-trim.jpeg

top-left.jpeg

top-right.jpeg

First thing to check. Does the button on the tailgate work to close it. The one on underside when open.

Mine was Caravelle with all lights etc in roof. To remove lining you have to remove all grab handles /hook holders/ lights and pillar trims to allow it to drop. If you have rear heating be careful when you drop the rear neAr tailgate as there is a small plastic controller stuck to lining that easily snaps.

From my experience and expensive mistake it’s very unlikely that the gas struts have failed. I opened up one and it’s like a bullet from a gun going off with the internal spring being about a mtr long. Thankfully know one was stood by when it parted. To try get spring back in and loaded will be a problem. Although I managed to collapse the spring to try an align the rod to screw back in at same time is not possible and I ended up damaging the rod inside. (Managed to source a second hand set new from VW we’re silly prices)

I also removed loosened the brackets and bolts on the tailgate but that doesn’t give you much movement at all. Be careful not to drop nuts between the skin of the car if you undo fully. You will need a long deep socket to undo them.

After much messing about I changed the switch mentioned at start that wasn’t working and amazingly it worked and closed. You have to set the height you want the door to open by physically holding/pushing to the point and the press the micros switch for 5 seconds and the rear lights will flash. This programs the system the press and it closes.

First thing to check. Does the button on the tailgate work to close it. The one on underside when open.
No, the button doesn't work anymore. Because of the gap at the top of the tailgate water was running into the door. This might have damaged the button, maybe it's just a fuse. Do you know where they are located?

I would put money on the button not the fuse. I think mine got water ingress from roof rail install. You can pick them up from VW or online not to expensive.

Back