Tailgate + Strada DL3 rack - which tow bar?

borat

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all. I remember seeing some chatter about certain tow bars being different lengths and the shorter ones not allowing tailgate to open with the DL3 fitted. Can’t find it now so I’m not sure it was on here! I’m getting towbar fitted as part of conversion so just want to ensure i don’t get the wrong one. Anyone able to advise please? Perhaps if you use the DL3 you can advise which towbar you have, or if you had problems with one?

Also the van has parking sensors so does that mean the installer will need VCDS to disable them when it’s connected?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi I have the Tow Trust towbar with the Atera 3/4 bike version and the tailgate clears ok, with handlebars not turned or anything but it is close. I was close to getting the westfalia but the installer recommended the tow trust over it and I have no complaints.

I had it coded in when installed so it disables the sensors when it’s hooked up

Hi all. I remember seeing some chatter about certain tow bars being different lengths and the shorter ones not allowing tailgate to open with the DL3 fitted. Can’t find it now so I’m not sure it was on here! I’m getting towbar fitted as part of conversion so just want to ensure i don’t get the wrong one. Anyone able to advise please? Perhaps if you use the DL3 you can advise which towbar you have, or if you had problems with one?

Also the van has parking sensors so does that mean the installer will need VCDS to disable them when it’s connected?

Cheers
I am about to collect a converted T6 and need a tow hook for Altera Strava DL3 . Did you get yours done? Any advice

I have a Brink swan neck tow bar (from PF Jones) and there is plenty of clearance for the Altera Strada DL3 that I recently bought.
IMG_9750.jpeg
There is also plenty of clearance for handlebars when bike is mounted on the closest position.

tow trust detachable and DL3. the rack itself is fine, it's the bikes that's the issue

I reckon it would be really tight if I put my MTB with wide handlebars in the slot closest to the van, but I generally don't so it's not an issue (it's either inside the van or kids bikes are in the closest position)

Drop bars would be absolutely fine, as well as narrower bars on normal bikes

Back