Tools for oil change

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
For those who do their own oil changes - do you use a pump to get the old oil out from the filler or dump it into a tray / container from the bottom. When it comes to the filter, are there any special tools needed? Sorry for the idiot questions but I'm a complete mechanical numpty and you've go to learn somewhere.

I've always drained it into a container via the sump plug, then transferred it back into the new oil containers for disposal.
The filter housing has a hexagonal section on top so a large socket or ring spanner should suffice. I'm fairly certain that its a 32mm. Once off, the filter can be replaced by hand.
Other considerations are the under tray (if fitted) and sump plug, which is typically replaced. Both of these are hex bolts on my van so onoy basic sockets required. I have seen posts where the plug is a T45 Torx head but I am unsure how common this is.
It's much easier (probably essential if the van is lowered) either jacked up or on ramps too.

Edited after @DXX post below.
My van is a 2016 Euro 5 140. Other models may differ.

Last edited:
I use a vacuum pump (manual amazon job), then plug out and drain the last 0.5-1.0L.
Mines a CFCA, filter element is close to the induction manifold and easy to damage without a cup wrench that fits over the filter. Dubious quality with some of these tools, can slip, fixed with pop marks inside the tool faces.
My advice is to avoid strap and chain wrenches, find the correct tool for your filter element.
Draining 7L + into a bowl will eventually end up with a spillage IMO, better to pump it out.

Unscrew the sump plug and pop a pan underneath. Just watch where you place the pan though. The oil comes out at an angle.

51UCNv2NgmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Screw a new sump plug back in.
Move the pan and undo the small nut (bung) 1st using a socket (13mm I think) as seen below and let the oil drain out the filter housing.

img_20191101_095947-jpg.53695

Now remove the filter housing using a 32mm socket, change filter (just pulls out the housing and new filter also includes the large and small replavement 'o' rings) then screw filter housing (with bung fitted) back on. Not to tight mind otherwise it could break or be a right pain to remove next time.
Fill up with 6l of oil, run engine for a couple of minutes then switch off, leave for 10 minutes then check dipstick and top up until the level is correct.
Old oil goes into an empty 10l adblue container. Real easy.
If you havent got ramps just drive one side of the van onto a pavement to make it easier to get underneath.
Handy to have nitrile gloves when removing filter housing and plenty of good quality kitchen roll for wiping stuff down.

Last edited:
Servicing the van tomorrow and trying my new vacuum. As above I’ll drain the last bit via the plug.

Just means less opportunity to mess the drive up!

For those with ramps I take it being at a slight angle doesn't really impact the oil draining?

We have a shared soft tarmac drive so I've never really done fluids on the vehicles but given the 6.1 engine likely appreciates regular changes it's something I'm wondering about.

For those with ramps I take it being at a slight angle doesn't really impact the oil draining?

We have a shared soft tarmac drive so I've never really done fluids on the vehicles but given the 6.1 engine likely appreciates regular changes it's something I'm wondering about.
Not sure it’s the same on the 6.1, but my T6 has the sump plug at the rear, so having the front on axle stands helps it drain better; same if it was on a ramp.

Thanks for all the responses people but I think I've just had it confirmed that I'm better off just paying somebody to do it for me as the potential for making a mess of the drive and / or myself is probably a bit too high.

Thanks for all the responses people but I think I've just had it confirmed that I'm better off just paying somebody to do it for me as the potential for making a mess of the drive and / or myself is probably a bit too high.
A small tarp with an old towel or sheet on top will eliminate this risk.

A small tarp with an old towel or sheet on top will eliminate this risk.
I try to keep a couple of larger cardboard boxes set aside for this. Folded out they can be useful for laying on and double up as reasonably absorbent driveway protection.

A couple of foam rubber camping mats to lay on and also catch any drops that miss the old washing up bowl i use to drain oil into .

I did this job for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was straightforward and I didn’t make a mess. I got some good quality shop towel and put it below the filter housing and underneath the container below the sump. It made it easier by using a socket wrench extension on the filter housing. Start to finish with a mug of tea whilst draining, around one hour.

All went well without any spillages - about 6 L in the vacuum and the rest in the drainpan.

Top tip - just loosen the filler cap when vacuuming - oil comes out faster.

Back