Towing my caravan

Paul in Worthing

VIP Member
Hi
We have a T6 and want to tow a small caravan from time to time to camping sites. We have been told by our insurance company that we cannot sleep in the caravan as the insurance on the camper will not be covered if we are not sleeping in it.
Has anyone come across this problem? Does anyone tow a caravan behind their VW? What company do you use? Are there any restrictions? I just rang the C&CC and was told if we tow, we will only be covered TPF&T!

Can anyone advise us on this? Surely it is possible to do what we want to do.

Many thanks for any advice

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Hi
We have a T6 and want to tow a small caravan from time to time to camping sites. We have been told by our insurance company that we cannot sleep in the caravan as the insurance on the camper will not be covered if we are not sleeping in it.
Has anyone come across this problem? Does anyone tow a caravan behind their VW? What company do you use? Are there any restrictions? I just rang the C&CC and was told if we tow, we will only be covered TPF&T!

Can anyone advise us on this? Surely it is possible to do what we want to do.

Many thanks for any advice
Just checked, April 1st is still months away......

I have a campervan and despite trying to use it to camp as often as possible we generally sleep in the house, are they saying it wouldn’t be insured? I just don’t think they have thought that through. Is it only uninsured when you sleep in a caravan or other non campervan beds? What about if you sleep in an awning connected to the van? What about if you sleep in a caravan that wasn’t pulled by the van. What about if you drive to a airbnb? So many questions for them :D

I've read this a few times and def sounds like some crossed wires. C&CC have said you will only be insured third party fire and theft if towing. This to me is for the touring caravan unless you have separate caravan insurance. There are one or two regular members on here that will be able to decipher or provide more advice I am sure. @JOG for example ...I would hope my van insurance would be covered even if I was sleeping in my caravan next door!

I have a campervan and despite trying to use it to camp as often as possible we generally sleep in the house, are they saying it wouldn’t be insured? I just don’t think they have thought that through. Is it only uninsured when you sleep in a caravan or other non campervan beds? What about if you sleep in an awning connected to the van? What about if you sleep in a caravan that wasn’t pulled by the van. What about if you drive to a airbnb? So many questions for them :D
Exactly! So if your van is your daily driver, you have to sleep in it if visiting family or friends overnight, I don’t think so.

When obtaining quotes for insurance, we are normally asked the location that the van is kept overnight? Usually the choices are garaged, a drive in front of the home address or on road etc. Does this problem stem from this if the van isn't occupied overnight?

I've read this a few times and def sounds like some crossed wires. C&CC have said you will only be insured third party fire and theft if towing. This to me is for the touring caravan unless you have separate caravan insurance. There are one or two regular members on here that will be able to decipher or provide more advice I am sure. @JOG for example ...I would hope my van insurance would be covered even if I was sleeping in my caravan next door!
Crossed wires!

I have caravan insurance with C&MC and my van is insured with Admiral.

Crossed wires!

I have caravan insurance with C&MC and my van is insured with Admiral.
Same here, van insured with Howdens,( the insurance company formerly known as Aplan). Boat insured with a marine insurer. Both fully comp. As long as the trailer is legal & roadworthy, there are no implications for the van insurance whilst towing.

Reactions: JOG
Same here, van insured with Howdens,( the insurance company formerly known as Aplan). Boat insured with a marine insurer. Both fully comp. As long as the trailer is legal & roadworthy, there are no implications for the van insurance whilst towing.
And still not April 1st!!!

When I asked as I went to the C&CC for a quote, they told me that the campervan would only be covered TPF&T if we towed a caravan! They were charging the earth too!!! We have the caravan insured separately too.

When obtaining quotes for insurance, we are normally asked the location that the van is kept overnight? Usually the choices are garaged, a drive in front of the home address or on road etc. Does this problem stem from this if the van isn't occupied overnight?
Our campervan is on our driveway when not in use. The issue arrives when you use it when going away. If you are not sleeping in it, then they said I would have to ask for a change of storage if going away for more than 2 nights and then they would ask their underwriters if they would allow us to do this. If a change of storage was necessary, they would charge us! I tell you, it opened up a can of worms and they kept saying they have not come across this before, which I find hard to believe.

Yes this is the issue. They only cover the campervan for a couple of nights if you stay in a hotel. Or 72 hours if you stay on a registered camp site. And it cannot be often! This is clearly not fit for purpose and we will change insurers upon renewal I think, unless things change.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
An insurer is entitled to impose whatever restrictions on use and cover they deem appropriate, but a consumer is entitled to stick 2 fingers up at an insurer and take their business elsewhere if said restrictions are deemed complete and utter bollox.

In this instance, I'd suggest exercising your 2 fingers.

The strange thing is that I can't think of a more careful bunch of people than camper van owners, they tend to be very fastidious with their vans.
On the other hand, every delivery driver that visits our address drives a van with various gouges, dents and other battle scars.

Back