Turbo Damper Seal Query

WillWillWill

Farmer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Got a query on how part of the intake assembly should be sealed please... This is a CFCA engine (and nothing to do with the CFCA issues that abound).

I noticed that I was getting some oil spray in the engine and found that it is because on boost there is a pretty decent air leak where the turbo manifold meets the plastic damper - see here:
1717501827830.png

I took this apart and am a bit confused - it seems like it could never seal as it is and I guess something is missing. There is a groove where a seal could sit, but also the end part is removable, almost like a plastic washer, but this is hard plastic not soft.

1717502005147.png

1717502029220.png

Could anyone please tell me what should be here? I had my timing belt done a few months ago and am wondering if this got taken off and reassembled incorrectly. I could go back to the garage, but it is a fair distance just to solve what is probably quite simple.

Bonus points if anyone can tell me the torque settings for the two set screws holding the parts together.

Thanks for any and all help.

Thanks @mmi you total legend.

So looks like the o-ring is the missing bit, but can't purchase separately, or at least not from VW... Tell me if I am being cheeky here, but does anyone have access to ETKA to look up what the p/n for the seal set is please?

Slightly odd that it says don't remove the thrust ring from the damper, since I did that to look at it, but hopefully it means leave it during reassembly rather than don't ever touch it ever ever...... Can't see that I will have done anything to harm it - it is hardly a finely engineered piece of plastic.

And amazing on the bolt torque, thank you.

1717525139628.png
1717524858413.png

It’s possible to splice a new NBR O ring if you can’t get the part.

Thanks again @mmi it really is much appreciated. Couldn’t find one here in the UK so ordered one from Autodoc in Germany.

Will report back when fitted but hopefully a nice easy fix. Another garage crossed off the list….

To close this one out - can't see many people ever having this problem, but just in case....

Parts turned up and for not a lot of money you get this turbo seal kit:
1718274718962.png1718274747305.png

The large black and green o-rings appear to be the same diameter, but the green one is thicker.
1718274782441.png

I took a guess at the green one seeing as most inter-cooler pipes I have worked on in the past use green seals, and I didn't see the harm in using a thicker one.
1718274808628.png

All back together, torqued up as above (a lot tighter than I would have been brave enough to do on a plastic part if I didn't have a torque wrench and the spec), quick leak test and all was well.

Thanks again for the help on this one - simple, but only when you know the parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Back