Tyre Damage

The simple answer is no, as any tyre wall damage is classed as MOT failure.
It is difficult to assess the damage to the wheel or tyre without removing the tyre.
The days of putting in an inner tube are long gone.

Any side wall damage is serious.

The tyre will need replacing immediately.

The simple answer is no, as any tyre wall damage is classed as MOT failure.
It is difficult to assess the damage to the wheel or tyre without removing the tyre.
The days of putting in an inner tube are long gone.
Not strictly true.

From experience, technically it’s only a failure if it is deemed by the examiner to be dangerous so cords or ply showing is a good example.

I’ve not been able to look at the pics so can’t comment on that particular tyre.

But yes, sidewall damage can be dangerous.

From the MOT Inspection Manual:

“When assessing cuts in a tyre, it is permissible to check whether a cut is deep enough to reach the ply or cord by using a blunt instrument to open the cut taking care not to cause further damage.

The following criteria should be used when assessing a cut in a tyre:

• any ply or cord that can be seen without touching the tyre - fail
  • if by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail
  • if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail
Before failing a cut, you must make sure it’s the cords that you can feel not a foreign object. If you’re not sure, then you should pass and advise.

When assessing lumps or bulges in a radial ply tyre, care should be taken to distinguish between normal undulations in the carcass, resulting from manufacturing, and lumps or bulges caused by structural deterioration.

Take extra care with stretched tyres because they’re more prone to sidewall damage.”

Been flagged at service that there is this very hard to see bulge in the tyre sidewall, on the inside of rear tyre….hallway between the chalk lines. Any thoughts on if I should replace immediately? Thanks3846396F-66BA-4035-BE4C-6630873F1500.jpeg

Been flagged at service that there is this very hard to see bulge in the tyre sidewall, on the inside of rear tyre….hallway between the chalk lines. Any thoughts on if I should replace immediately? Thanks
Any chance of a better photo? Impossible to see the extent of the bulge, so unlikely that anyone will commit.

I'd say play safe and get it replaced

Any chance of a better photo? Impossible to see the extent of the bulge, so unlikely that anyone will commit.

I'd say play safe and get it replaced
Yeah, it’s hard to get a pic that shows it as it’s such a slight bulge.
Tyres 16 months old, covered around 18k miles and has 6mm of tread left.

Back