Tyres for Nc500

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We are planning a trip loosely following the nc500 at the end of this month/early April.
We have 2016 t6 150dsg camper currently shod with conti winter contact extra load tyes which have 4.5-5mm tread left on them.
Does anyone have any input on the suitability of these tyres for the possible conditions? Obviously we will keep an eye on the forecast to try and avoid unsuitable conditions.
My biggest nightmare in icy conditions has always been driving downhill!
Thanks

Very suitable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean I’m in a camp that’s says it’s definitely not spring in Scotland until April but by the end of the month or in April you probably wouldn’t even need winter tyres either. Much of the route is in milder coastal areas where it will be probably just be 5-10 degrees and wet by that time!
But they’re not going to hurt; I’ve run winter tyres all year round here in Scotland!!

You’ll be fine. I lived in northern Scotland long before winter / all-season tyres were a thing and am still alive!

You’ve got about 50% tread left there which will still be fine on ice but missing a little performance in snow. Certainly not worth worrying about in my opinion.

We are planning a trip loosely following the nc500 at the end of this month/early April.
We have 2016 t6 150dsg camper currently shod with conti winter contact extra load tyes which have 4.5-5mm tread left on them.
Does anyone have any input on the suitability of these tyres for the possible conditions? Obviously we will keep an eye on the forecast to try and avoid unsuitable conditions.
Thanks
My advice is keep off the verges, they will be very soft as there's been lots of rain all winter. Make sure you know how to select a lower gear for descending any long/steep descents , take your time on the single track roads, look well ahead and be prepared to stop. Don't park in passing places, and don't pull over to passing places on the right, just stop opposite them.

Your tyres will be fine, though there may be snow on the top of Bealach Na Ba, and in April there won't be too many midges.

Your tyres will be fine, though there may be snow on the top of Bealach Na Ba, and in April there won't be too many midges.
This. I'd very much doubt if you'll see any snow, bar some on the tops of the mountains if it's been cold.

I was in Torridon at the end of April last year and they'd just had a fresh bit of snow on the tops, plus I saw some snow on the tops of the Cairngorms as I was driving past. Oh and I think it was a TINY bit sleety as I was driving on the high section of the A9 between Blair Atholl and Aviemore.

1000002894.jpg
1000002896.jpg

April/May and late September/October is by the best months to visit the west coast. The most stable weather, few midges and the best colours in Autumn!

This. I'd very much doubt if you'll see any snow, bar some on the tops of the mountains if it's been cold.

I was in Torridon at the end of April last year and they'd just had a fresh bit of snow on the tops, plus I saw some snow on the tops of the Cairngorms as I was driving past. Oh and I think it was a TINY bit sleety as I was driving on the high section of the A9 between Blair Atholl and Aviemore.

View attachment 232950
View attachment 232951

April/May and late September/October is by the best months to visit the west coast. The most stable weather, few midges and the best colours in Autumn!
There’s less snow than that already!!
Here’s a mountain between Achnashellach and Torridon last weekend:
_DSC3811.jpeg

(Although it will probably snow again before March is out just to punish anyone silly enough to get excited that it’s spring already!)

Yeah the snow in my second pic had literally happened the day or 2 before I arrived. It was 18-20 degrees the week before that!!

I seem to recall we had brilliant weather on that trip. And we were pretty high up a lot of the time.

1000003065.jpg

Yeah the snow in my second pic had literally happened the day or 2 before I arrived. It was 18-20 degrees the week before that!!

I seem to recall we had brilliant weather on that trip. And we were pretty high up a lot of the time.

View attachment 232964
Ah superb! Looking N to Liathach!
I think from the bealach between Beinn Liath Mhòr (the mountain in my pic) and Sgùrr Ruadh - looking over Coire Grannda (Horrible/Terrible Corrie!)…?
Cracking MTB route!

Ah superb! Looking N to Liathach!
I think from the bealach between Beinn Liath Mhòr (the mountain in my pic) and Sgùrr Ruadh - looking over Coire Grannda (Horrible/Terrible Corrie!)…?
Cracking MTB route!
Yeah that's it, on the outward (mahoosive) climb from Annat, this was at or close to the top (might have been before the brutal hike-a-bike section). The first bit of the 'lollipop' :thumbsup:

Annat/loch Torridon being just out of view to the far left.

Thanks
Go slowly take your time and enjoy the fantastic views and as said in an earlier post look ahead and use the passing places for thier intended purpose NOT to park in! Have a great trip.

I think you are planning on the NC500 not a solo expedition to the poles! As long as you have your dog sled team with you, polar rations and good communications with the Reform Club you will probably get away with it! :)
PS. Did not mean to be too sarky.....have a good trip. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Not quite as far north but we were in the Loch Tay/Aviemore area end of Feb and the snow was pretty much gone by the end of the week, only a cake dusting along the Cairngorm range.

Back