Van came without a spare wheel!

Vwgirl87

Hi Everyone

So we recently discovered that our 2018 Edition T30 van doesn't come with a spare wheel! Something the dealer failed to highlight when we bought it. We have a bottle of sealant and compressor but that's all. With a road trip planned to France in a couple of months we don't feel comfortable not having one and so are looking for a steer spare but we're not sure what we need to check to make sure it fits. The dealer has quoted in excess of £200 for the wheel and tyre, so we're trying to source one from else where

The van as it stands comes with 17" black and silver cascavel alloys, tyre size is 235/55/R17. Is there anything specific we need to know when buying the spare? And also the same to make sure the existing wheel nuts fit too?

We've seen a new 17" steel wheel on Ebay for £60 (no tyre). There are also some old/used T5/6 wheels and tyres

Thanks

For my van I've just ordered a second hand 16" wheel with 215/65/16 tyre off eBay for £40

I've got 18" wheels so not sure if that's the size you need but if you Google tyre the comparison, you'll get a website where you can compare tyre sizes to ensure that the overall diameter is the same

The only thing I haven't 100% confirmed is that the 16" wheel will clear the brakes but assuming so...
Also ordered the bracket to store the wheel under the van

If you don’t have a spare wheel it might also be worth checking that you have a jack and wheel brace (usually by the ns rear arch) and a cage under the van (unless you are happy to carry the wheel in the back of the van)?

Nope, no jack or brace. We've already ordered them. Just confused by how we work out which wheel we need

Thanks

Hi Everyone

So we recently discovered that our 2018 Edition T30 van doesn't come with a spare wheel! Something the dealer failed to highlight when we bought it. We have a bottle of sealant and compressor but that's all. With a road trip planned to France in a couple of months we don't feel comfortable not having one and so are looking for a steer spare but we're not sure what we need to check to make sure it fits. The dealer has quoted in excess of £200 for the wheel and tyre, so we're trying to source one from else where

The van as it stands comes with 17" black and silver cascavel alloys, tyre size is 235/55/R17. Is there anything specific we need to know when buying the spare? And also the same to make sure the existing wheel nuts fit too?

We've seen a new 17" steel wheel on Ebay for £60 (no tyre). There are also some old/used T5/6 wheels and tyres

Thanks

Just use a steel with the same tyre size you already have

For anyone looking back at this, don't listen to me!!

The 16" wheel arrived so thought I'd better try it on and it doesn't clear the front brakes!

Overall size is the same so will work on the rear and for now Will mean swapping wheels around if I get a puncture on the front but will do until I get a 17" wheel :thumbsup:

I have the same issue so the dealer supplied me with a 16inch spare and said it will definitely fit !

Depends what van you have, some of the bigger weight/big engine vans have the 17 inch chassis which comes with larger brakes and these require a minimum 17 inch wheel to clear the calipers on the front

Mine is a t30 but is a 180hp so assuming it has the bigger brakes (any bigger and I'd doubt 17's would fit)

For anyone's future reference, I can confirm that the spare wheel carrier from a t5 fits perfectly :thumbsup: strangely my van did have the jack etc.

Carrier and spare now fitted. Now have to look for a jack and brace.

I sort of understand why a spare wheel was not supplied but I find it extremely poor that neither a jack or brace are included in a 30k plus van.

Carrier and spare now fitted. Now have to look for a jack and brace.

I sort of understand why a spare wheel was not supplied but I find it extremely poor that neither a jack or brace are included in a 30k plus van.

Don't waste your money on a VW brace either,they are not up to the job,buy yourself a wrecking bar and a 19mm socket :thumbsup:

Mine is a t30 but is a 180hp so assuming it has the bigger brakes (any bigger and I'd doubt 17's would fit)

For anyone's future reference, I can confirm that the spare wheel carrier from a t5 fits perfectly :thumbsup: strangely my van did have the jack etc.
Mine is T30 180 and it has nt got the bigger brakes.

Random, mine is 4motion which might make the difference??

Searched for a pic and definitely do have the bigger brakes :D

Hi guys, we have a lot of brand new spare wheels with tyres (Hankook / Continental) available. We also have some brackets to hold the spare wheels.

These wheels are all 16" and will fit any model apart from T32.

£60 per wheel (with tyre)

£40 per mounting bracket (not many available)

Not sure a 16" would fit my caravelle? which if ordered with 18" wheels does not come with a spare

Thought I'd find some pics to help people confirm what they have

Big brakes - need 17" wheels to clearScreenshot_20190307-185608.png

Smaller brakes - 16" wheels will fit (best pic I could find)
Screenshot_20190307-193429.png

Note, you can always use a 16" wheel on the rear wheels, tho if you get a puncture on the front you have to swap a full sized rear wheel onto the front first before fitting the spare :thumbsup:

So for a short distance, would a spare 16'' with 205/65/16 tyre on get me to a garage safely... if I've got 235/55/18s on all the other wheels?

I know the 16 will fit over the brakes, cause the van came with 16s on. But more worried if I'm going to break anything driving to a garage with the 16 on?

I've checked on 'will they fit' and it gives a 5% difference.

thanks

Back