Ventilation options

I've been researching ventilation options for my LWB van without a poptop and wondering what other non-poptop owners are doing.

I'm considering adding at least 1 Maxxfan delux fan fitted above the kitchen. I found some vans have added 2 fans, as air obviously needs to be coming in to balance air out.

I was considering relying on the Webasto diesel heater when in ventilation mode, which comes through the floor. Does anyone know much about the Webasto Heater in ventilation mode?

I will have a Sirocco fan fitted in a central location to force air either forward or toward the rear towards the bed.

I've considered cracking forward windows (insects/security) and/or the rear tailgate (rain/security and vermin). I've had vermin entry experiences travelling in Australia, such as being woken up by a python getting into my rooftop tent, which managed to squeeze through a a very small opening. The rear tailgate insect screen is not secure on the bottom, as its not fixed to the floor, so mice, snakes etc are a potential tenant.

I would appreciate comments or suggestions on this topic. Thanks

You don't have to have 2 active fans for in and out, but you do have to think where the air one fan is moving goes and have at least passive vents otherwise you are just trying to change the pressure in the van.

You don't have to have 2 active fans for in and out, but you do have to think where the air one fan is moving goes and have at least passive vents otherwise you are just trying to change the pressure in the van.
Thanks for your response. I have thought about vents and air flow, but don't want to add any window or body vents. Underfloor venting was a consideration until I thought of potential for dust entry and noise while driving.

Roof real estate is not important to me, so 2 Maxxfan Deluxe fans are most likely my choice. It would be ideal if Maxxfan provided a smaller version fan for these smaller campers. So it'll be expensive and abit of overkill but ventilation while securely sleeping is very important for me. They will definitely provide excellent ventilation during minimal inside cooking periods, rain and most importantly while sleeping. I like the way these fans can be reversed, so I can switch them to suit the demand. They can also be used securely to reduce the heat load while parked and doors closed. I'm a solo traveller, so security is another important factor for me.

At this stage in my research I will most likely carry my bicycle on the tow bar using a Yakima Anthracite bike carrier. My only roof consideration is the possibility of adding a small roof rack between the Maxfans to add a solar panel in future, which I hope I don't need. I prefer not to carry anything on my roof and travel with the minimal.

I'll have a 200ah Lithium battery installed, which is plenty for my power needs. I have a portable 200watt solar panel, which was plenty during my past off grid travels around Australia coupled with a 110ah Lithium battery.

I've been researching ventilation options for my LWB van without a poptop and wondering what other non-poptop owners are doing.

I'm considering adding at least 1 Maxxfan delux fan fitted above the kitchen. I found some vans have added 2 fans, as air obviously needs to be coming in to balance air out.

I was considering relying on the Webasto diesel heater when in ventilation mode, which comes through the floor. Does anyone know much about the Webasto Heater in ventilation mode?

I will have a Sirocco fan fitted in a central location to force air either forward or toward the rear towards the bed.

I've considered cracking forward windows (insects/security) and/or the rear tailgate (rain/security and vermin). I've had vermin entry experiences travelling in Australia, such as being woken up by a python getting into my rooftop tent, which managed to squeeze through a a very small opening. The rear tailgate insect screen is not secure on the bottom, as its not fixed to the floor, so mice, snakes etc are a potential tenant.

I would appreciate comments or suggestions on this topic. Thanks
the webasto only re-circulates air in the van, it doesn't bring fresh air in from outside.

You can achieve some passive ventilation by propping the tailgate part open and having the front windows open partially (using Heko or similar wind deflectors).

We used to use these with a roof vent before pop top fitted. They should be snake and mouse proof but may need extra mesh for mozzies.

IMG_1959.jpeg

Back