Vibration - feels like understeer?

Bu5hy_78

Hi all. Newbie to T6 ownership only having picked up my new money pit 3 weeks ago.

Already spent a small fortune but we won't go into that just now ‍

Reason for posting is recently I've noticed a slight vibration through the steering wheel when turning at low speeds. Gets worse on full lock. Feels like the tires are scrubbing or skipping across the tarmac, similar to understeer? I did find a loose part of the inner wheel arch liner which was re secured. I've also replaced the tyres as they was needed due to the last owner running them flat. And it seems to be worse on the passenger side tyre? I'm running 275/40/20 tyres and the vans been lowered on H&R springs.

Any help appreciated before I end up taking it into my local garage for them to pull it to pieces. Thanks in advance ☺️

Screenshot_20240710_092646_Gallery.jpg

Sweet van you got there. I would just check the power steering level as that's the cheapest and to rule out you haven't got a leak. After that get a geo done makes a big difference if it's out abit

Sweet van you got there. I would just check the power steering level as that's the cheapest and to rule out you haven't got a leak. After that get a geo done makes a big difference if it's out abit
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I had the tracking checked when I had the tyres replaced the other day. Was slightly out but didn't make a difference to the vibration after it was adjusted. Power steering fluid is spot on too and no leaks. I have just been out and when I got home noticed that the drivers front wheel is rubbing on the front part of the wheel arch liner. Might have to whip the wheel off and get the heat gun out for a small adjustment. See of that helps. I can't check the wheels on full lock due to them swinging back slightly when I let go of the steering wheel. I need a friend to assist.

I would say that the problem lies with the tyre width, 275's are too wide. @CRS Performance have mentioned this many a time on here.
Take a look through this thread.

If you can, maybe mark the inner of the tyre with a dab of paint, stick it on full lock and see if this transfers to the arch, if it does then you know it's only a rubbing issue.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I had the tracking checked when I had the tyres replaced the other day. Was slightly out but didn't make a difference to the vibration after it was adjusted. Power steering fluid is spot on too and no leaks. I have just been out and when I got home noticed that the drivers front wheel is rubbing on the front part of the wheel arch liner. Might have to whip the wheel off and get the heat gun out for a small adjustment. See of that helps. I can't check the wheels on full lock due to them swinging back slightly when I let go of the steering wheel. I need a friend to assist.
Assuming the drive shafts are ok ??

If this noise is only on steering lock at parking speeds i would say its some issue with the top shock mounting , were these replaced when the springs were fitted ??

The bearing might be shot , Do you have standard ally mounts ( bearing carrier) not the silly machined down ones that cause all kinds of problems ??

275 40 20 is the go to size for all discount wheels suppliers . its too big and nothing good comes from this , In reality every one has there ideas on tyre size but an 11 inch wide tyre on a 8.5 inch wheel doesn't make sense .

Its usually easy to see rubbing marks on the inner arch cover , but also check the small spline screw at 12 o clock on the out edge of the wheel arch cover if its shiny silver its rubbing on the tyre .

Thanks for the information everyone.

I dont know what was fitted (top mounts etc) when the springs were replaced due to all that work being done before i purchased the van.

I have a feeling it might be down to the size of tyres tho as like I said, it only happens at low speed when parking. Make alot of sense. I think I'll have to learn to live with it for a while tho as I've literally just purchased a set of fronts but when they do need changing I think I'll switch then all up for set of 245s

In the meantime tho I'll have to find a friend to hold full lock and see where it's touching the inner wheel arch liner. See if it can be "adjusted"

Thanks again folks

Back