VW Roadside Assistance - will they come to your home?

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Driving back from Cornwall, the van flashed up a tyre pressure warning for the rear N/S wheel. As the van was driving just fine and because that message had flashed up once previously (for the same wheel) and then had never been seen again, I ignored it and continued to drive home.

Just looked out the kitchen window at the van on my driveway and I can see that the rear N/S tyre is now completely flat. I went out to find this...
1726079726725.png

My tyre-inflator struggled to re-inflate the tyre and now, after only a few minutes, the tyre is as flat as it was before.

I don't want to risk damaging the wheel or the tyre (if repairable) by moving the van and I don't want to use the scissor jack, so wondered if VW Roadside Assist will come to my home to swap the wheel out. Is this something they do as standard or is like standard AA cover where they'll only come to your home if you have additional cover (Home Assist)?

Anyone know?

TIA

VW assist go anywhere you need them.

I've had them out, at home, at work, at play.

Provided it's a drivability concern.... Ie your unable to drive the van as you are unable to change the wheel.

Any idea if the tyre will be repairable? Seems like a screw straight down and not too close the tyre wall, so I would've assumed so, but whenever I try and get a tyre repaired (usually at Kwik Fit) they always say "can't be repaired".

I have called the AA out a couple of times for a plug repair.

Perhaps VW assist have the same tool, or would send an AA van if requested.

They don't even remove the wheel.

Reactions: Bav
You can repair the center 2/3rds of the tyre tread width.

You can't repair the sidewalls or shoulders.

A tyre shop should do it for £5-10.

Or try diy.

Last edited:
The answer I always get but your never catch me at rip off kwik Fit
Last time I went to KF with a puncture, it was with a Michelin CC2 tyre that was less than a week-old and had done less than 200 miles. The puncture was a nail that was slap bang in the middle of the tread - I couldn't imagine a more obviously repairable puncture if I tried, but they still said it couldn't be repaired.

To add insult to injury, they didn't have any CC2s in stock and I ended up with a premium, but not all-season tyre instead. I swear they half-inched my CC2 and repaired it for their own use. :mad:

My mate was a mot tester for them( not for long ) told me some horrendous stories about them.
One sprang to mind was an old lady with few advisories and branch manager wouldn’t let her leave and badgered her into getting work done that wasn’t necessary and cost nearly as much as car was worth

• Sad
Last time I went to KF with a puncture, it was with a Michelin CC2 tyre that was less than a week-old and had done less than 200 miles. The puncture was a nail that was slap bang in the middle of the tread - I couldn't imagine a more obviously repairable puncture if I tried, but they still said it couldn't be repaired.

To add insult to injury, they didn't have any CC2s in stock and I ended up with a premium, but not all-season tyre instead. I swear they half-inched my CC2 and repaired it for their own use. :mad:
They was blagging you.

I had a 10mm coach bolt in a tyre from a building site.

Assumed it could never be repaired....

But tyre off, internal patch and rebalance, was good for the rest of its life. (They probably kept your tyre and repaired and resold it for good money)

The string repair is not supposed to be used anymore in tyre shops, but it worked for last 60 years and a lot still do it.... And you can diy if you can be bothered.

I've had 1 in 10 string repairs leak down... So if you go to a garage ask for a patch repair or internal plug repair and balance. As before they do the job so you know what your getting.

Called VW Assist last night and arranged for them to call around this morning.

Currently, the van looks a pitiful sight, sagging to one side. :(

In fairness, getting the AA to repair (or DIY job) does give you some breathing space so you don’t arrive at a tyre fitter as a distress purchaser (their favourite).
I have always found Nationwide Auto-centres the fairest for repairs.

The string repair is not supposed to be used anymore in tyre shops, but it worked for last 60 years and a lot still do it.... And you can diy if you can be bothered.
I carry the kit in my van along with an inflator, I always coat the string in puncture repair glue before inserting it, it's a great way to get mobile again and you have the option of getting a professional repair carried out later. It's a five minute job, so quicker than waiting for the AA, and easier than changing the wheel.
I still carry a spare wheel in case of a catastrophic sidewall puncture.
In the circumstances that @Bav is in it'd be perfect.

Not seen the string repair kits before - looks like a better bet to have on standby as a get you home than the magic goo - might get myself one.

T6Forum once again hitting the wallet :rofl:

Not seen the string repair kits before - looks like a better bet to have on standby as a get you home than the magic goo - might get myself one.

T6Forum once again hitting the wallet :rofl:
Or perhaps the forum has just saved you a pretty penny. ;)

So, VW Assist have been - a very nice man in a shiny silver van - and he's effected a temporary repair that's rated for 100 miles at speeds up to 50mph.
Sounds like he joeyed it up Bav.
A puncture repaired properly isn’t limited to 50mph.
Is this just to get you on the road so you can go get it repaired properly?

Sounds like he joeyed it up Bav.
A puncture repaired properly isn’t limited to 50mph.
Is this just to get you on the road so you can go get it repaired properly?
Yeah, just a temp repair to get it to a tyre shop - a full repair needs tackling from the inside.

I could've got him to swap with the spare, but I suspect that's only steelie (can't confirm though, as never seen it).

Dynaplugs are what you need to carry.

I've used them loads of times, superb things.

Back