VW service and warranty claim

Hilly64

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My T6 has gone for an inclusive major 56k service. As part of their checks they report and video a cracked engine mount and leak to the engine sump

do you know if these might be covered under the VW extended warranty or will they argue wear and tear ?

regards

Could be crankshaft oil seal I guess so same question applies re the extended warranty

there is bound to be resistance I am sure

Consensus would appear to be that it's a bit down to the dealer.

The warranty terms appear to exclude oil leaks on their own, but would include replacing seals if they needed to be replaced as a consequence of other warranty work.

But best bet is to double check your specific warranty terms and be prepared to lean on the loyalty aspect of your relationship with dealer.

FWIW . . .

I've had both changed under warranty,

front lower engine mount and front main crankshaft oil seal,

and EGR+cooler, and EGR rear pipe

plus a DMF - twice.

FWIW . . .

I've had both changed under warranty,

front lower engine mount and front main crankshaft oil seal,

and EGR+cooler, and EGR rear pipe

plus a DMF - twice.

the joys of ownership

If you don’t mind me asking was that manufacturers warranty or extended warranty/

I paid for the engine mount as VW dealer insisted this would not be covered under warranty but they are now looking at logging a claim for the seal. Strange he kept mentioning goodwill and like he was doing me a favour and part contribution so sounds like lining me up for some more cash extortion. We shall see i guess, may have to revisit the engine mount issue and warranty….. is the argument a “fit for purpose one” and premature failure?

there will then be the added hit of new timing belt and water pump. Just when they changed the rules and thought I had swerved one for the time being!!

if I get them to do the oil seal I suppose it’s a no brainier to have the belt and pump done at the same time ?

I had, the factory extended (year 4/5), then straight into the all-in (year 6/7)

If you have all-in you can call the VW fs warranty department and ask them what's covered...
Totally separate from asking the dealer, that way you can verify what the dealer is telling you.

- definitely
There could be an argument that the timing belt is a consequential replacement due to oil leak in that it is likely to have been contaminated and or god practice says you shouldnt refit an old belt ….. might be pushing my luck

Oil leaks not covered, but you may get lucky if dealer gives you a goodwill gesture.

I had to pay for a new cambelt kit and water pump and VW paid for the seal and labour. Not ideal, but gives me some peace of mind that new parts are fitted and not re-used items.

Back