VW supplied ply floor

CowardChicken

Hi. Hopefully an easy question to answer. I’ve just purchased a 6.1 and it was already ply lined by VW. Does anyone know how VW apply the floor ply and will it be a bugger to lift up? Many thanks

Most main dealers just get a local ply liner in who will just whack self tapper screws everywhere with no care. That's why I asked them not to do mine

Most main dealers just get a local ply liner in who will just whack self tapper screws everywhere with no care. That's why I asked them not to do mine
Thank you. Do they pierce the outer skin or are they screwed into the top of the rib usually therefore hopefully less prone to rust

Thank you. Do they pierce the outer skin or are they screwed into the top of the rib usually therefore hopefully less prone to rust
Mine were hit and miss.

They come as a two-piece, so are prone to movement and therefore noise.

If you’re asking because you’re wondering whether it’ll save you sorting a floor out yourself, it won’t - they’ll never pay a firm to fit a one-piece that fits well. The only thing it’ll be good for is if you’re using it as a builders van.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

I'll be honest they probably just screw anywhere don't think they really think. When I did mine I used non slip phenolic plywood and fixed it down with M10 countersunk machine screws through the existing mounts for the tie downs.

I've since taken it all out and had the van converted to kombi lol

Mine were hit and miss.

They come as a two-piece, so are prone to movement and therefore noise.

If you’re asking because you’re wondering whether it’ll save you sorting a floor out yourself, it won’t - they’ll never pay a firm to fit a one-piece that fits well. The only thing it’ll be good for is if you’re using it as a builders van.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your reply, it’s really appreciated.

@ToddiesT6 posted a thread where he was looking at supplying one-piece floors. He is at the other end of the country, mind.

Otherwise, using the OEM rubber floor will give you the best template from scratch. If your dealer will fit this instead, I’d say go for that. Most conversions end up consisting of that rubber floor with ply on top, the rubber helping to elevate, insulate and sound deaden.

@ToddiesT6 posted a thread where he was looking at supplying one-piece floors. He is at the other end of the country, mind.

Otherwise, using the OEM rubber floor will give you the best template from scratch. If your dealer will fit this instead, I’d say go for that. Most conversions end up consisting of that rubber floor with ply on top, the rubber helping to elevate, insulate and sound deaden.
Thank you. So basically I can rip out the supplied ply to reveal the bare floor, fit the rubber mat and apply the new ply on top? How does the rubber mat anchor to the floor?

Thank you. So basically I can rip out the supplied ply to reveal the bare floor, fit the rubber mat and apply the new ply on top? How does the rubber mat anchor to the floor?
Effectively, yes. You’ll have to fill and treat the holes in the floor the ply made, as you know.

So a common flooring system is one matching the Caravelle; that consists of the rubber floor laid down (some will use spray adhesive) with 12mm ply flooring over the top (which will be slightly wider than the rubber floor, what with the slightly chamfered edges where van sidewall meets floor pan) that is usually only held down by a mix of friction fit, adhesive to the rubber floor, and the seat rail system that sits atop - in my case, the Cali bed.
One the floor is laid (Astro, Karndean / America / what have you) your final finished floor level matches the Caravelle.
Meaning you can then fit a Caravelle threshold and side step(s) which will marry up without the need for aluminium edge profiles and the like.

Effectively, yes. You’ll have to fill and treat the holes in the floor the ply made, as you know.

So a common flooring system is one matching the Caravelle; that consists of the rubber floor laid down (some will use spray adhesive) with 12mm ply flooring over the top (which will be slightly wider than the rubber floor, what with the slightly chamfered edges where van sidewall meets floor pan) that is usually only held down by a mix of friction fit, adhesive to the rubber floor, and the seat rail system that sits atop - in my case, the Cali bed.
One the floor is laid (Astro, Karndean / America / what have you) your final finished floor level matches the Caravelle.
Meaning you can then fit a Caravelle threshold and side step(s) which will marry up without the need for aluminium edge profiles and the like.
Superstar, thank you. One final question, do you have a recommendation for a primer or will any do? Many thanks

Post in thread 'Ply Floor Template. T6.1' Ply Floor Template. T6.1

Shame you're not closer I'm about to repurpose my floor and use it as a base for a large pullout drawer. I fitted this years ago but hardly ever carried anything in the van since and it's now been converted so I removed all the interior.

Back