Warranty oil leak claim refused under extended

MJB67

Had a service and MOT under my extended warranty and diagnosed a Main crank oil seal leak.
VW Alan Day has said the below come back from VW.
Has anyone successfully appealed this?
They want a bag of sand to do it ffs.

“ Observation
The rectification of oil leaks is not covered under this warranty policy and this is stated on page 6 of the policy booklet. Therefore, the claim is declined”

Had a service and MOT under my extended warranty and diagnosed a Main crank oil seal leak.
VW Alan Day has said the below come back from VW.
Has anyone successfully appealed this?
They want a bag of sand to do it ffs.

“ Observation
The rectification of oil leaks is not covered under this warranty policy and this is stated on page 6 of the policy booklet. Therefore, the claim is declined”
Aye! Search the forum, you’re not alone.

Oil leaks are not covered under the ALL-IN plan.

But are covered under the Factory Extended warranty.

As you mentioned MOT well assum you have the ALL-IN cover.

Crankshaft main seal is a common item to need addressing. (Had mine done at 60k under factory warranty)

Have they quoted you for it yet?

Just having my crank seal done now at Listers £921.58 also having DMF and clutch £2700

OUCH
With the crank seal, are they doing cambelt and water pump at the same time? (As part of that quote)... As the timing belt and crank sprocket need removing to do the crank seal.

Crankshaft main seal is a common item to need addressing. (Had mine done at 60k under factory warranty)

Looks like they have quoted £1000 Del ( bag of sand )

So just the crank seal and sump seal....

Re using the same belt... Leaving the tensioners....

I wonder if they are using new oil and filter, or just refilling same oil...

£1k seems the average price, but we see loads of variables as to what you get for your money.

I tried various arguments without limited success. I did eventually get a goodwill discount (50%) however it also made sense to do timing belt and water pump (56k miles) whilst everything is off so that pushed the price back up!

I looked at local indy and their prices where half the dealers price anyway on everything and if you get a knowledgeable one they will source OEM quality parts to the point where my local stated the parts were in the same boxes with VW scratched out.

I stuck with the main dealer in the end as overall with discount on oil seal and the belt/water pump it worked out about the same and I am still in the warranty. Still wasn't expecting these costs on a new to me van

As stated previously I do question the warranty value of the All-in package given the amount of exclusions but on the flip side I guess you get gearbox cover and a few other majors items unless they find a way of wriggling out?

Thing is the VW book says they have to replace a ton of bits, bobs, nuts, bolts etc.

That most indys will just refit. Along with the new belt.. (we looked at this before and showed the detailed breakdown of parts that vw fit VS what the indy fits)

So that makes the indy price cheaper.

If your in warranty, stick with the dealer.... If out of warranty then choose the local VW indy.

So just the crank seal and sump seal....

Re using the same belt... Leaving the tensioners....

I wonder if they are using new oil and filter, or just refilling same oil...

£1k seems the average price, but we see loads of variables as to what you get for your money.
Yes I mad sue it was new oil and filter in the price.
Also the sump fractured when removing but they are standing this replacement !
She is at 120k now was going to replace but new van same + spec was £65k decided to keep it running as wife is retiring this year and i have given myself 2 years (hopefully)

£1000 just to replace crank shaft main seal.
Only done 35000 miles.
Dealership said I should call VW to argue the toss.
I’ll try that ?

When my first crank seal went the van was repaired under manufacturer 5 year extended warranty. This included belt, pump, tensioners and oil even though my belt wasn't due at that point, the cost that I saw was £750ish, but they covered the whole cost.

When the replacement seal failed outside of manufacturers warranty, but under the All In warranty my dealer tried to wriggle out of it by quoting the All In oil leak disclaimer.

Unfortunately the second seal leak was just outside of 2 years since the first replacement, I would have been covered if it was just inside the 2 years as all VW repairs are guaranteed for 2 years. So after some arm twisting I got them to go 50/50, they covered all the labour as goodwill and I covered yet another belt and pump kit.

Check your bus hasn't already had a seal change in the last 2 years and then maybe offer to meet them halfway if it hasn't?

I think the cambelt kit is £375ish, worth it for peace of mind.

My turn! Crank seal and PAS pump - both weeping! And, this is three days before we irritate @DXX by dragging our emmet hutch to Cornwall! £2,400 they want as neither is covered by the All-in plan! Mightily hacked off here!!!

They’re also recommending I do the cambelt and water pump while I’m at it! Suggested they check the service record as I had it done two years ago!

Now they say they don’t need to do the belt and pump….!

I’m having my local independent price up to do the job - he’s insisting that I do the belt and pump as they’ll have it off anyway!

Grumble, grumble, grumble!!!

My turn! Crank seal and PAS pump - both weeping! And, this is three days before we irritate @DXX by dragging our emmet hutch to Cornwall! £2,400 they want as neither is covered by the All-in plan! Mightily hacked off here!!!

They’re also recommending I do the cambelt and water pump while I’m at it! Suggested they check the service record as I had it done two years ago!

Now they say they don’t need to do the belt and pump….!

I’m having my local independent price up to do the job - he’s insisting that I do the belt and pump as they’ll have it off anyway!

Grumble, grumble, grumble!!!
Good luck with local indy. As previously posted at the time my indy was half the price of main dealer using OEM grade parts in fact I was told that some parts came in boxes with the VW identify scratched out. I believe if the indy is experienced they will do as good a job as main stealer. I stuck with main dealer in the end as got a good will gesture which made the costs roughly the same but would have no hesitation using an experienced indy

Reactions: JOG
Back