What bit is the CAT and what bit is DPF? Confused!!!!

loonytoon

Sooooo

Looking at the DPF removal but keeping the CAT in place, and getting conflicting info on which bit is what!

Can you clever buggers on here please explain.

Is ITEM 1 the CAT and ITEM 11 the DPF?

1691685144950.png

The soot in the exhaust tailpipe will be an instant giveaway to anybody who puts a finger in, the opacity test will back this up.
Maybe it’s just coming off for cleaning?

If it runs clean, it will pass the opacity test. The issue is smoke of any colour results in a fail, regardless whether the opacity test passes. But if it's clearly had the dpf chopped out the system or obviously been tampered with, then it'll fail.

It all depends on who you have doing the test!!

Putting MOT testing aside, you can have issues should you be unlucky enough to get a roadside inspection and DVSA notice it's been tampered with

If it runs clean, it will pass the opacity test. The issue is smoke of any colour results in a fail, regardless whether the opacity test passes. But if it's clearly had the dpf chopped out the system or obviously been tampered with, then it'll fail.

It all depends on who you have doing the test!!

Putting MOT testing aside, you can have issues should you be unlucky enough to get a roadside inspection and DVSA notice it's been tampered with
Diesel produces soot no matter how well it’s running.
You’ll need to find an MOT test centre that doesn’t mind losing their licence to operate.

My friendly MOT Tester Trainer is saying that there is new testing equipment coming that MOT bays will have to use. These will be better at detecting if DPF have been removed or tampered with. Removing them could be a very costly and futile exercise.

My friendly MOT Tester Trainer is saying that there is new testing equipment coming that MOT bays will have to use. These will be better at detecting if DPF have been removed or tampered with. Removing them could be a very costly and futile exercise.

Well its better than an EGR failure and the engine shitting itself! If you bypass the EGR you have to remove the DPF from what I was told.

:rolleyes:

We have been getting told for a number of years we will need to invest in the new equipment. We're still waiting......

Well its better than an EGR failure and the engine shitting itself! If you bypass the EGR you have to remove the DPF from what I was told.

:rolleyes:
The EGR is a consumable, plan to replace it, it’s inevitable. Nobody is going to risk their business for your MOT fee.

The EGR is a consumable, plan to replace it, it’s inevitable.

But when it fails its throws metal into the oil, then causes bore scoring and engine failure from what I have been reading!!!

for example stuff like this!

I’m not entirely sure how much soot the egr gets rid of. I do a bit of pottering around town-although everything near me is a massive hill over the moors-as it’s my daily driver but mainly use it for runs as a camper but I don’t drive it hard like maybe I should.
My egr is blocked off and I’ve noticed no change in regen frequency or length. I admit I’ve not checked the egr soot level using vcds.
I always reset my trip after a regen.
Local driving approx 180 miles
Distance driving approx 250 miles.
About 4K done since egr was deleted.
Dpf obviously very much still present.
I can get dpf removed and cleaned for about £300 so I’d rather do that if I have to.
I’d rather do that than think what is going through my engine.
I have a video that the garage sent my mate a few weeks ago when his swirl flaps jammed.
204 driven spiritedly and used for long drives for mtb and kayaking all around the uk.
The inlet manifold was shocking. The flaps and ports were virtually fully blocked.
I’m going to get my inlet manifold walnut shell blasted at Darkside after summer. Be interesting to see the state of it at 128k as my mates van is a 2019 on 54k.
I’d rather that crap got stuck in the dpf than back into the engine.

I’m not entirely sure how much soot the egr gets rid of. I do a bit of pottering around town-although everything near me is a massive hill over the moors-as it’s my daily driver but mainly use it for runs as a camper but I don’t drive it hard like maybe I should.
My egr is blocked off and I’ve noticed no change in regen frequency or length. I admit I’ve not checked the egr soot level using vcds.
I can get dpf removed and cleaned for about £300 so I’d rather do that if I have to.
I have a video that the garage sent my mate a few weeks ago when his swirl flaps jammed.
204 driven spiritedly and used for long drives for mtb and kayaking all around the uk.
The inlet manifold was shocking. The flaps and ports were virtually fully blocked.
I’m going to get my inlet manifold walnut shell blasted at Darkside after summer. Be interesting to see the state of it at 128k as my mates van is a 2019 on 54k.

Did block it off and geet Darkside to map it out also?

And then just keep the DPF and AdBlue as normal?

Interested to hear as I was told you have to remove the DPF if you take the EGR out.... ???

The EGRs purpose is not to reduce soot, it’s to reduce NOX emissions. It clogs with soot as it’s handling the exhaust gases. In industrial situations a heat exchanger designed to handle gases that leave deposits are oversize to allow for fouling, looks like motor manufactures are not too concerned on this front.

The EGRs purpose is not to reduce soot, it’s to reduce NOX emissions. It clogs with soot as it’s handling the exhaust gases. In industrial situations a heat exchanger designed to handle gases that leave deposits are oversize to allow for fouling, looks like motor manufactures are not too concerned on this front.
I know it’s job is to reduce nox, but it still sends all the crap back through the inlet so some of that must get reburned and reduce the soot going through the dpf? Maybe?
Or have I been watching my regen frequency for no particular reason?

Did block it off and geet Darkside to map it out also?

And then just keep the DPF and AdBlue as normal?

Interested to hear as I was told you have to remove the DPF if you take the EGR out.... ???
Mine was done by Chris at DAV-TEC. A few on here have gone down this route. Also, of course, it’s fully reversible in a few minutes should the need arise.

I know it’s job is to reduce nox, but it still sends all the crap back through the inlet so some of that must get reburned and reduce the soot going through the dpf? Maybe?
Or have I been watching my regen frequency for no particular reason?
With any filter the more clogged it is the faster it clogs, exponentially. I’m not sure monitoring it produces any meaningful statistics unless comparing one identical unit against another.

Back