What happens once you buy your wheels and tyres?

T6Mike

Musical Member
VIP Member
Advice please, and apologies in advance if it's obvious to you. But I'm not the most mechanically minded chap so really appreciate you sharing what might be obvious. :)

I've had enough of the look of the 16" Claytons and it's time to man up and have a change, and I fancy going for something 19" or 20" (probably 20"), and black. It's factory standard height, and I don't plan on even considering lowering it. Love the look of the Navis GP7's, that kind of thing. So, I've seen plenty places online selling wheel and tyre packages, great. But what happens after I buy them online?. Do they arrive in the post on a pallet, and then what do I do with them?, do i take them along to the local kwikfit and get them to fit them?. And If that's the case, what do these places charge for that kind of thing?, anything I need to look out for?. I'm not a fan of visiting these places. :cautious:

Feel free to point me in the direction of any good wheel/tyre deals too if you want.

IMG_198444.jpg

Last edited:
When I had new wheels they arrived individually boxed, but I sorted tyres separately.
Trolley jack, breaker bar (if necessary), locking wheel nut adaptor and torque wrench.
Remove one wheel at a time and replace with your new shiny wheel and tyres until they are all done.
Check tyre pressures and adjust, depending upon size and load.
Do it on flat level ground. Don’t use the factory jack (it’s just dangerous).
Make sure your wheels and tyres are correctly load rated for your van.
If you are changing the overall rolling diameter then check how it affects your Speedo and get it adjusted if necessary.
If you don’t want to do it yourself then I’d suggest just buying wheels without tyres then driving to your local tyre fitter of choice and price to fit the new tyres and then swap the wheels for you. They won’t charge extra for that, as it’s no extra work for them, in fact it’s less as they don’t have to remove tyres from the old rims.
If you just want them to fit your wheels and tyres then ring round to get a price; really depends upon how busy they are.
Then if you are in any doubt about your geometry, get an alignment check done before you get any uneven wear on your new expensive tyres.

Yes they generally arrive packaged up although in my experience not on a pallet. Usually they would have correct tyre pressure and include fitting kit (bolts, spigot ring etc) but not always so check with supplier.

If you're not confident doing the swap many garages will do it for a fee but perhaps buying online isn't for you and maybe find a retailer more locally who will supply and fit. Probably work out similar cost.

Reactions: EAN
Make sure you have the correct bolts for the wheel, just because they fit through the hole, have the correct thread and are long enough is not enough.
Details should be available from the supplier and there will be some info’ on this Forum. Search

Reactions: EAN
Back